Can't open hyperlinks from TB

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
w2dsx

Can't open hyperlinks from TB

Post by w2dsx »

Ever since I upgraded Firefox to 29, I have been unable to open any hyperlinks in my emails. This includes trying to open Help Contents (F1). I'm using W7 and have FF set as the default internet browser. Using Google and RTM have only yielded old links or help, nothing in the immediate past. I had initially hoped to find a place in Options where I could directly point to FF in my system, but I'll be darned if I could find it.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!!
tanstaafl

Re: Can't open hyperlinks from TB

Post by tanstaafl »

You probably need to set your systems default browser again. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser for how to do that. Its not clear why that setting broke when you upgraded Firefox.
w2dsx

Post by w2dsx »

Did that earlier, but thanks for suggesting it. Everything went OK with the FF upgrade, except I quickly got fed up with the new format and re-introduced the bar at the bottom of the window and also forced it to accept Forecast Fox as an add-on. When I bring up TB and click on a link, the program window does a brief flash and the menu bar goes grey, as if I had just clicked elsewhere on the desktop.

Thanks again for the speedy reply!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

As a sanity check save a web page as .html file, exit Firefox, and then double click on the .html file in windows explorer. If it displays the web page in Firefox than its the default html browser. If not, you might need to try setting a different browser as the default, verify it works, and then set Firefox as the default again.
w2dsx

Post by w2dsx »

Well, that was interesting. Got home from work and saw the email notification of your reply. Clicked on it with no luck. Alright, right clicked on the link with "Copy link location" and brought up this page in FF with a Paste and Go. Followed your instructions in 'Sanity Check', saved the page in html, closed FF, navigated to where it was and clicked on the saved webpage. FF opens no prob. OK, still default, very good. While pondering the next step I went back to the email in TB and just for kicks tried again. And it worked! Clicked on several links in TB with it opening in new tabs in FF no prob.

Don't understand why, but that step of saving a page in html, closing FF and then clicking on it seems to have forced the issue into my favor. I don't understand but I'm very greatful for your help, many thanks!!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You're welcome.
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Thank you, had the same issue and literally nothing worked in all the help pages and suggestions - was driving me nuts. Finally tried the save / open / retry as done above and POOF it works :) Yay!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your report.

Now locking this three year old thread due to the age of the original posts.