MozillaZine

Thunderbird freezes.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ezh

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 3:00 am

I have a very annoying problem: Thunderbird freezes every few seconds/minutes. It happens on three (all) my computers. Is there a way to see why is it happens, some tracing?

I have very big mail folders - total 105 Gb. May be this is the cause?

PS Disabling/uninstalling Kaspersky Internet Security does not affect this.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 3:29 am

* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* How often does Thunderbird check for new messages? Find that setting under menu path Tolls->Account Settings->Server Settings.
* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Do you regularly compact the message folders? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... ng_Folders
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)

Ezh

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 3:47 am

1. Earlybird. I'm from Netscape times a beta tester. But the problem exists for me for a long time now.
2. Every minute
3. IMAP. Two IMAP on our own server and one Gmail.
4. Have just compacted. It seems to help. Now the folder is 96,7 Gb.
5. No changes. The problem persists for a year or more. I do believe it's connected with the big mailboxes...

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 3:52 am

2. You might try changing the time between new mail checks on the servers to something more reasonable like 5 minutes.

Are the IMAP accounts set to store copies of all messages on the local system? Check that under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Synchronization & Storage.
Is Thunderbird set to "Enable Global Search and Indexer" under menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General tab?

Ezh

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 4:43 am

I need to check mails every minute.
All messages are locally downloaded. I do often search for messages.
Global search is enabled as well.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 5:02 am

With that volume of stored messages it's possible that the freezing is caused by Thunderbird's need to update index files, both for the individual folders and the Global Search index. Could you move messages to sub-folders of Local Folders as an archive option, where they would be accessible but not contantly active?

Ezh

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 5:21 am

What exactly should I do? I have an Archive folder where I put old messages (it is a regular mail folder, not Thunderbird archive folder by pressing A - I do not like it, since it makes year-to-year folders inside it). How can I exclude a folder from being cached?

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 5:27 am

...move messages to sub-folders of Local Folders as an archive option, where they would be accessible but not contantly active...

Ezh

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 9:11 am

Nope, I do not like the solution.

I have different folders: sale, support, partners. I need to search in folders, but archiving puts all messages in one say "2013" folder, it will be a mess then. I try "The Bat!" mailer, maybe it will be better.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 1:14 pm

I suggested that you create sub-folders of Local Folders and move older messages to those sub-folders. I did not mention and was not suggesting that you use Thunderbird's archive function. Local Folders can be searched just as easily as any other folder, more so than IMAP folders. You can create folders with the same names as the IMAP folders if you wish, or add something to the name to indicate that it is older information: OldSales, OldSupport, etc.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258575/t ... lient.html

Ezh

Post Posted August 13th, 2014, 1:46 pm

OK, understood. I have the mail on 3 different computers. And I have to use those 3 ones... So, this is not a solution as well.

wsmwk

Post Posted August 31st, 2014, 6:42 am

Ezh wrote:I need to check mails every minute.

Then you are probably screwed. But, you should *not* need to check it every minute if you have IDLE enabled.
That said, you should still test increasing the value to say 5 minutes to determine if behavior changes.

Ezh wrote:All messages are locally downloaded. I do often search for messages.
Global search is enabled as well.

Return to Thunderbird Support