MozillaZine

What is global-messages-db.sqlite

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Al_H

Post Posted August 16th, 2014, 3:21 pm

I have a 450Mb global-messages-db.sqlite file. Is that normal?

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 16th, 2014, 3:26 pm

That depends on how large your message store is. That file is an index of all of the messages in your profile, for all folders in all accounts. If you feel that file size is excessive you can delete the file and allow Thunderbird to rebuild that index.

Al_H

Post Posted August 16th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Thanks for the answer DanRaisch. From what you say, can I understand it is just an index, so if I delete it no message will be lost (just the index will be re-built)?.
(Sorry if the question sounds reiterative but I would not want to risk losing messages.)

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 17th, 2014, 5:12 am

You're restatement is correct. The file global-messages-db.sqlite is an index. Deleting it with Thunderbird closed will not remove messages and the index will be rebuilt when Thunderbird is next launched. Note that it may take some time for that rebuild to be completed.

Al_H

Post Posted August 17th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Thanks again
FYI , the file was created in 2010 -when I bought this laptop.
After deletion & being rebuilt, it has passed from 435 to 13.5 Mb

Al_H

wsmwk

Post Posted August 18th, 2014, 7:23 am

If you delete lots of new messages over time, or if you now have fewer message than when you started, it would be perfectly natural and proper for the file to reduce in size. One can expect global-messages-db.sqlite's size to be 15-20% of the combined size of all your messages.

Al_H

Post Posted August 18th, 2014, 11:52 am

Thanks wsm. It has grown from yesterday and it is back to 350 Mb, so I presume it goes in line of the ratio you mentioned

jeffrollason

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 3:12 am

I have this issue, but my file is 1.4gog. How do I configure Thunderbird to use drive D: Instead of C. My C drive is about full

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 3:47 am

wsmwk

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 3:50 am

jeffrollason wrote:I have this issue, but my file is 1.4gog. How do I configure Thunderbird to use drive D: Instead of C. My C drive is about full

Do you have one or more large gmail accounts, and are a long time multi year thunderbird user? If so you may be using double the amount of disk space.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 4:06 am

I suggest you read Minimize the size of a profile . You can pick and choose which of its suggestions to follow.

jeffrollason

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 4:11 am

I have very big e-mail accounts. I an long term Thunderbird user but originally imported from Express and then used a recommended tool to migrate it to a new PC. The latter did not work exactly so I had to fiddle to get it working. My mail is on an SSD E and is 17 gig. It appears to have 2 types gor each file name. e.g. "AI Factory" and AI Factory.msf". I have many folders.
My only concern is to get stuff off C:

In passing I have "groups" that came from Express and any mail to a group immediately fails on "bad address", but then if you re-send it works.

Thanks

mikeg2000

Post Posted October 20th, 2015, 2:03 am

Hi. Seeing you discussing the global-messages-db.sqlite file, I wonder if anyone can help.
When my wife went into Thunderbird yesterday, a load of inbox emails had disappeared - all other archive folders were intact, just the inbox had a fraction of the emails in it that it had yesterday.
I found the global-messages-db-sqlite file and with a text editor found that the emails are in it, so I have saved that - can I restore them into the inbox in any way?
I am sure that the size of the inbox was not an issue, as mine at work is a lot larger, with a lot of attachments and everything.
Any ideas?
Thanks

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 20th, 2015, 4:15 am

DanRaisch wrote:The file global-messages-db.sqlite is an index. Deleting it with Thunderbird closed will not remove messages and the index will be rebuilt when Thunderbird is next launched. Note that it may take some time for that rebuild to be completed.

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

wsmwk

Post Posted October 20th, 2015, 6:38 am

mikeg2000 wrote:Hi. Seeing you discussing the global-messages-db.sqlite file, I wonder if anyone can help.
When my wife went into Thunderbird yesterday, a load of inbox emails had disappeared - all other archive folders were intact, just the inbox had a fraction of the emails in it that it had yesterday.
I found the global-messages-db-sqlite file and with a text editor found that the emails are in it, so I have saved that - can I restore them into the inbox in any way?

There is no process to restore them from global-messages-db-sqlite. And for large messages, global-messages-db-sqlite only has partial contents. global-messages-db-sqlite is not an authoritative store - in the case of imap, that would be your mail server. And without a intact imap server storage and in all other cases, you must rely on *your* backups.

Return to Thunderbird Support