Menus extremely slow to open in Thunderbird 31

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Mr_Wolf

Menus extremely slow to open in Thunderbird 31

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Hi all!
Since I've upgraded to Thunderbird 31 on my main notebook, every menu: File, Settings, Help..., and even the menu when I right click on my e-mail accounts are extremely slow to open.
This didn't happen and doesn't happen if I go back to Thunderbird 24.7.0.
As far as I tried, it doesn't depend on an add-on, since I disabled them all. In safe mode, I don't have the same problem.
This happens on Windows 7 64 bit.
By the way, the odd thing is I don't have the same problem on 2 other notebooks, one with Windows XP e one with Windows 7 64 bit, with Thunderbird configured exactly the same way (I copied my Thunderbird profile on both them).

Anyone experiencing a similar problem? What else can I try? For now, I'm forced to keep Thunderbird 24.7.0.

Thanks in advance!
DanRaisch

Re: Menus extremely slow to open in Thunderbird 31

Post by DanRaisch »

Try switching off hardware acceleration. See the ninth bullet point in this article-- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29
Mr_Wolf

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Ok, I've found a similar problem in the Italian forum and solved mine.
In Settings -> Options -> Config Editor I set layers.acceleration.disabled to true and everything got back to normality. :D
Mr_Wolf

Post by Mr_Wolf »

DanRaisch wrote:Try switching off hardware acceleration. See the ninth bullet point in this article-- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29

Thanks!
That's what I tried and worked.

EDIT: by the way, I've just noticed that it's Thunderbird 31 which sets those parameters to "false", whereas they were previously set on "true".
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Mr Wolf 80 wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Try switching off hardware acceleration. See the ninth bullet point in this article-- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29

Thanks!
That's what I tried and worked.

EDIT: by the way, I've just noticed that it's Thunderbird 31 which sets those parameters to "false", whereas they were previously set on "true".

Correct. That's because version 31 enables hardware acceleration by default.
(although it will automatically disable HWA if it detects a graphics driver that it knows does not work well with HWA)
ratdogracer

Post by ratdogracer »

Thanks for the solution. I was ready to move to a new email client, and I really did not want to do that.