Distribution lists

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dgo47

Re: Distribution lists

Post by dgo47 »

What is the best way to check which of the add-ons is the culprit? Or do I just have to disable them all and then enable them one at a time?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Nope.
Try disabling them ½ at a time, restart.... Then do the other ½ etc.
Then ½ of the offending ones......yaday yada yada.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dgo47

Post by dgo47 »

What is the best way to check which of the add-ons is the culprit? I guess I just have to disable them all and then enable them one at a time.
jgb

Post by jgb »

DGarbs wrote:Yes, I get the same message, when I want to send to any of my contact lists.

<Singers - A B <"Singers - A B"> is not a valid e-mail address because it is not of the form user@host. You must correct it before sending the e-mail.>

Of course there is no "@", it is a LIST!

I have been distributing newsletters on a weekly basis for YEARS, and then... yesterday, out of the blue, I get the above message.

ME TOO>

Using my lists for a coons age.
After today's TB update (31.1.0) none work. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
jgb
Luap

Post by Luap »

There seems to be many users with this problem and you can add me. It happened overnight last week. Does Thunderbird share add-ons with Firefox ? The reason I ask is because I've never installed add-ons or extensions on Thunderbird and yet there they are.

Another point is that I have 3 cleaners I use regularly and have been using for a very long time. These cleaners update and maybe one has inappropriately cleaned a necessary Thunderbird file or preference name in the config. The cleaners are: CyberScrub, CCleaner, and Bleachbit. Should any of these have been used by the affected "list problem" users then at least we can be closer to a solution. But first we need to know if there is a file or preference name in the config that's necessary for "lists" to be functional.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. No, Thunderbird and Firefox do not share installed extension. Plug-ins, on the other hand, are installed at the operating system level and thus the same plug-ins would be present in both applications.

2. It's unlikely that anything in the config file is related to this issue. In a previous thread it was suggested that this represents a regression which brought back an old bug and that it will likely be resolved by a future dot release of Thunderbird. That said, it's probably best to NOT let any of those cleaners touch either Firefox or Thunderbird as they have can be overaggressive and remove things that are needed by these programs to operate properly.
jgb

Post by jgb »

This just further convinces me Mozilla is following the Microsoft playbook on so called security upgrades.
It's over a week since this problem arose, and nary a word (fix) from Mozilla.
They seem not to fully test updates, as in the past stuff happened and we had to wait for an update to an update.

However, since TB and FF are still better than anything else out there, I shall impatiently wait,
AND NOT BE ABLE TO SEND TO ANY LIST.
jgb
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And yet some of use users are not seeing any such problem with mailing lists. It's not as simple as "they don't test updates." There are an untold number of PC configurations and an equal number of combinations of installed extensions. Testing for every one of those possible sets of conditions is not feasible, so things will turn up among the general user population no matter how much testing they might do.

Are you trying to use the mailing list from the address book or the contact sidebar? Or have you tested both methods?
Luap

Post by Luap »

I have always just typed into the To: box to call up the address book options and then select the appropriate one.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See if you can use a mailing list if you open the contact sidebar (press F9 in the composition window) and select the list in that pane, then press "Add to To:" or one of the other options to add the list name to the address entry field.
marklang

Post by marklang »

I am another user having problems with mailing lists. This just started when I upgraded to Thunderbird 31.1.0 from 24.6.0 I believe. The only extensions I have are Cloudmark DesktopOne (spam filter), xpunge, manually sort folders, and Viewabout. A mailing list I have been using for about two years suddenly stopped working. I get the message that it is not in the form of an email address. I am not sure if taking the spaces out of the name will work. I don't know how to try it without sending out something to my list. It seems like something must have changed in this latest build.
Mark Lang
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's been suggested that the problem with mailing lists represents a regression introduced with the 31.1.0 version release. Some folks have found this issue corrected by removing the space from the list name. Some have not found that to be helpful. Some folks have not seen any problem with using lists. Whatever is causing the issue, it's not a simple pass/fail type of condition.
marklang

Post by marklang »

I am sure this is not a simple issue. However, I hope the Mozilla team can help us get it fixed or worked around. My Cloudmark DesktopOne extension also started having issues with this latest build. In my case it could identify spam files but not move them to a shared spam folder. Someone else reported they could not mark files as read. Cloudmark provided an update that seemed to fix those problems, but this reflects that something in how mail messages are processed must have been changed.
Mark Lang
jgb

Post by jgb »

I use the left address book pane all the time.
My Dist.Lists take the form of *All (except name)
The lists of this form contain all the names I normally forward mail to.
The * places the lists at the top.
NAME is the person who sent me the item, so I do not send it back to them, and then I add additional names as appropriate.

First thing I did was change a lists spaces to "_" *_all_(except_name) Did not work.
Then I went to my add-ons and there was an address book sync add-on for my old Nokia phone, long gone. I now use a Blackberry Q10.
It was disabled with a note that it was incompatible with TB 31.1.0. I deleted it and restarted TB. Did not work.
Then I disabled the other 3 add-ons. Restarted TB. Did NOT work.

So what's next?????
jgb
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I would test to see if a new list, possibly duplicating the membership of an existing list, will send without a problem. I'd make the new list with a very simple name with no spaces, asterisks, or underscores. Perhaps just call it "Test1" or something like that.