MozillaZine

Yahoo groups and showing the true sender

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
slickrcbd

Post Posted November 1st, 2014, 5:49 am

While my newer computers were undergoing my monthly defragmentation and anti-malware scans, I decided to play some old games on my old Windows 98SE/XP machine.
While in Windows 98SE, somebody told me they sent me an e-mail, and so I opened Thunderbird 2. I made sure there were no attachments as the antivirus is only really up to date on the XP side.
In addition to that e-mail, I noticed an e-mail from Yahoo groups, and the "sender" field showed the actual poster, while the modern Thunderbird 31.2.0's "from" field only shows the Yahoo Group it came from.

Is there any way to get the modern Thunderbird to show the actual posters like the ancient copy?

screen shots are here. I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to link to the full sized photos anymore with Flickr. It really sucks, I want the old Yahoo Photos back with the "view original image" link prominently displayed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@ ... 657559989/

slickrcbd

Post Posted March 4th, 2015, 6:25 pm

I'm not sure if I should have necroed this or not, but "Daenerys mwalthew" on CaerAzkaban has found a solution. Just in case anybody else is having trouble with Yahoo Groups "from" field.

Can be fixed in thunderbird.

1. Go to any post that says it's from CaerAzkaban@yahoogroups.com
2. On the email itself, right click on CaerAzkaban@yahoogroups.com in
the from column
3. Click 'edit contact'
4. Click 'edit details'
5. Make sure 'Always prefer display name over message header' is checked.
6. Delete the display name, so it is blank.
7. Click 'OK'

That should do it.

Note that you change CaerAzkaban (before the @) to whatever group is giving you trouble with the from field.

sfhowes

Post Posted March 5th, 2015, 11:25 am

Another approach to displaying senders' actual addresses is to use this add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... ress-only/

Return to Thunderbird Support