reply on an accout2-email use account1 in From:

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Orwel

reply on an accout2-email use account1 in From:

Post by Orwel »

I have an account1 which used own inbox. I have also an account 2, which use the inbox of account1. If I receive an email on account2, it is correctly put in account1-inbox. When replying on this email, the From changes to the account1.

This behaviour is not present on TB29.0 (i had to downdate TB due this bug), but is present on Thunderbird 31.2.
In config file I see this info about account2: it is deferred to account1.
DanRaisch

Re: reply on an accout2-email use account1 in From:

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Is Account2 a Gmail account? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Suite ... il_Aliases
Is it set up as an actual email account or as an alias of Account1?
To what entry in the config file are you referring?
Orwel

Post by Orwel »

Hi, I am sorry for not answering, i choosed to return to TB 24.8.1 which is the last version that works perfect.
Yes, the account 2 is a gmail account, but is this really a problem?
In version 24.8.1 everything works perfect... I tried yesterday the actual version 31.6, but the problem still occurs.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Suite ... il_Aliases - this is not what I want to use... as written "This doesn't require you to add another account or use a different SMTP server. You are merely enhancing an existing account. ". But i want to use another accounts.

The problem is, my inbox for gmail account is the same as my inbox for my domain account, this means, gmail mails go into domain inbox. When I use the reply button, TB 24.8 use as sender the same account the message was address to (gmail - replay use gmail account, domain - replay use domain replay). TB 28*-31.6 use for replay on gmail message the domain account. As TB 24.8 works OK I think this is a bug...
Orwel

SOME ADVICE??? reply on an accout2-email uses account1 in Fr

Post by Orwel »

Does anybody now, if this is a bug or does anybody have some advice? I am still on TB version 24.8..1 because it is a last version that works correctly...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Do you have two different SMTP servers defined in that profile, one for each account?
Have you checked the settings on the Gmail web page under "Send mail as" to ensure that the two accounts are noted there?
Orwel

Post by Orwel »

To DanRaisch:
Thank you for the reply. Indeed I have two SMTP servers defined.
Regarding the second question - I do not understand why should I check any gmail web page settings. The problem i described is caused by TB 28 and above. The versions til 24.8 works perfect. If I click Reply on a TB message received to the gmail account, the Reply window sets the FROM to default account and not the gmail account which has received the message. It is not a problem of sending, it is a (TB) problem of creating the Reply message which do not use the right account for the FROM: email address. I tested the behaviour on a fresh 38.5 portable version and the behaviour is the same. There are only 2 accounts: 1. domain, 2. gmail..both are set to get the messages into 1 inbox (for the domain). If i press Reply on a message received in this inbox by the gmail account, the Reply window sets the domain address as FROM instead of the gmail address... I do not think something with GMAIL web page has something to do with this, mainly if the same settings of Gmail web page work on TB 24.8.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Gmail's implementation of web mail is not standard. Unless set up correctly, anything sent using Gmail's SMTP server will be shown as coming from the Gmail account. It wasn't clear to me from your first post whether that might be happening here.

How is Thunderbird set up for those two accounts to share the inbox? Are you filtering messages from the Gmail account into the inbox of the domain account? Or are both POP type accounts and you are using the Global Inbox option?
Orwel

Post by Orwel »

Thank you for the reply.
The settings are as follow:
domain account has its own folder structure (inbox, drafts, Sent...) and the gmail account inboix is set through: Tools-Account settings-(gmail account) Server Settings - Advanced - Inbox for different account: (domain account).

So neither domain account nor gmail account use Global Inbox. Gmail uses the inbox of the domain account.
Orwel

Post by Orwel »

and i forgot - yes, both are POP type accounts, gmail is set for leaving the messages on server for 14 days (but this should not affect the behaviour, i think...)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I believe that the behavior you are reporting is caused by your choice of having a single inbox folder. That set up would seem to result in messages in that single inbox being associated with only that account.
Orwel

Post by Orwel »

ok, but why is TB 3.* - 24.8.1 not affected? I have had the same settings and use them without problems for years.. I think this is a bug from the version 31.*...I reported it (2015/10) also (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1173279) but nobody took a look at this on bugzilla...