server has disconnected error message

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Macuser85022

server has disconnected error message

Post by Macuser85022 »

I realize that I'm opening an old post, but I'm suddenly having the same problem as the Original poster. I'm on Mac Yosemite version 10.10.1. Suddenly anytime I try and get my email on Thunderbird vs. 31.3.0, I'm getting the error message about my server being disconnected. I ran a ping, called my webhost, restarted Thunderbird, did all the recommendations in all the posts on this forum about this problem. Still no solution.

It's interesting to note, if one does a search on this forum, that this problem goes all the way back to 2004. Each time the poster is told that it's probably the server, or that other people aren't getting this problem. Yet this bug hasn't been fixed in more than 10 years. Do a search and the internet is littered with this same complaint.

So - any one else having this problem in 2015? Any other ideas on how to solve it? Or is the solution to drop Thunderbird and go to a different email server?
Last edited by James on January 10th, 2015, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split from http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2429615
tanstaafl

Re: server has disconnected error message

Post by tanstaafl »

A google search of "email server disconnected" will also show its a common problem with other email clients such as Outlook.

Its tough to tell whats going on when users won't provide the full text of the error message and quickly give up when somebody trying to help them doesn't have an immediate solution. One of the risks of choosing a webhost rather than a normal email provider is its harder to get help because whoever is trying to help you can't try to duplicate the problem, and you may have shot yourself in the foot because you didn't learn enough to be a good admin.

* What is the full text of the error message?
* Who is your webhost provider? What type of email server do they use? Are you using a POP or IMAP account?
* Try increasing the number of connections in tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings -> advanced -> "maximum number of server connections to cache" if its a IMAP account.
* Do you have similar problems trying to send a message?
* Do you have the same problem with somebody other than a webhost? For example, Gmail.
* When you run into this problem does it keep happening for more than a couple of minutes or is it a intermittent problem?

"Or is the solution to drop Thunderbird and go to a different email server?"
I think you meant different email client.
Macuser85022

Post by Macuser85022 »

The reason I connected my post to the older post is because my situation was almost entirely the same, from the verbiage on the error message to the frustration with not getting my emails.

What is the full text of the error message?
"Server at xxx@xxx.com has disconnected. The server may have..." And I can't see the rest of the message. The error code box is too small for the entire message

* Who is your webhost provider? My webhost is webhostface.com
What type of email server do they use? Are you using a POP or IMAP account? It's an IMAP account. I have logged on to the error board on my hosting account and there have been no outages, no network disconnections and no complaints about email not being delivered by anyone else using them. I have spoken to them and they show no reason for this problem.

* Try increasing the number of connections in tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings -> advanced -> "maximum number of server connections to cache" if its a IMAP account.
When I did that, I got four error messages on the console: I don't know how to insert a screen shot here - One of the error messages says:
"Warning: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create
then it gives a source file.
I'm not a programmer - I just need a good email client...

* Do you have similar problems trying to send a message? No - only when I click on Trash or Junk folders to clear them. I'm having to go into the files on my computer to delete things, or I open Thunderbird up on another computer and delete them there.

* Do you have the same problem with somebody other than a webhost? For example, Gmail.
Nope. No problems on other computers with Thunderbird, either. Just on my MacBook Air

* When you run into this problem does it keep happening for more than a couple of minutes or is it a intermittent problem?
It happens every time
Macuser85022

Post by Macuser85022 »

I just read on the Mozilla help page that the solution was to DECREASE the number of connections in Tools -> account settings, etc.

Then another person said the solution is to never have your T-bird account open on more than one machine at a time (something I've successfully been doing for several years with no problems.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Macuser85022 wrote:When I did that, I got four error messages on the console: I don't know how to insert a screen shot here - One of the error messages says:
"Warning: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create then it gives a source file.

http://portableapps.com/node/42326 claims that is a bug added in Thunderbird 31.0 that occurs if app.update.enabled is set to false. Since its just a warning, I'd either ignore it or change that setting (to allow Thunderbird to automatically check for updates). See http://kb.mozillazine.org/App.update.enabled

>Do you have the same problem with somebody other than a webhost? For example, Gmail.
Nope. No problems on other computers with Thunderbird, either. Just on my MacBook Air

So the problem only occurs with your webhost account on your MacBook Air? If you can't figure out whats unique about your MacBook Air that effects just that account you might want to try the trial version of postbox and see if it works around it. Postbox is based on enhancements to a old version of Thunderbird, but they are heavily targeting OS X users so that might improve your odds. http://postbox-inc.com/
johnsjs

Post by johnsjs »

I think I've been having this problem.

The error message is (as far as I can recall)

Server at xxx@xxx.co has disconnected. The server may have gone down or there may be a network problem

I've been having this issue for a while - primarily on an account which is connected through my phone (k9 mail), desktop at work (thunderbird 31.4, Win 8.1 Pro), desktop at home (31.4, 8.1), and a tablet (k9 mail). Server is a postfix/dovecot/amavis/etc system configured using mysql, and set up using iredmail on Ubuntu server 14.04 LTS

It was only the home desktop which was showing the issue, so I started there - the one difference between the account which exhibited the behaviour, and another which comes through to the same clients was that the problematic account had 'Maximum number of server connections to cache' in Thunderbird/Tools/Account Settings/Account/Server Settings/Advanced set to 10, and the other account to 5.

After fiddling around in postfix for a while I remembered that isn't going to help an incoming email problem (just saying that to point out that I'm not particularly competent at this stuff) - so went and fiddled in Dovecot.conf instead. Changed mail_max_userip_connections from the default of 10 to 30 (I'm not really one for incremental increases, and what the heck, perhaps I need to connect another half dozen devices, and it isn't a busy box user wise) and the problem disappeared once a dovecot restart (or reload, I did both, probably a redundant step, but not an expert) completed.

I believe there should be a different Thunderbird error message for this (max connections exceeded or something similar) because I have a vague memory of having that as a message before (years ago which may be why max server connections to cache was set to 10 in the first place).

Hopefully this helps some people - it seems to be an easily understood fix over in dovecot land, so it may be a different issue, and I'm just confusing matters, but hopefully not.
Macuser85022

Post by Macuser85022 »

I am still having the same problem as i posted in my OP. Server disconnected messages happen every time I try to delete trash or junk. It is also happening on my desktop now. It doesn't happen with any other mail program. I've gone into the cache and deleted everything from the Trash and Junk folders, I've gone to my hosting account and accessed my webmail from there and cleaned up the inboxes and trash folders.

If Thunderbird wants to be the email solution for everyone, they shouldn't make this a programmers project to use it.

FWIW - here are a few of the messages from my error console. These may as well be written in Martian. Perhaps someone who is on the Tbird development team can translate it. This has all happened since I updated two updates ago. My laptop is a Macbook Air on Yosemite, my desktop is a MacMini on Snow Leopard. Since this is happening with both OS's and both types of computers and NOT with any other email program, it has to be a Thunderbird issue.

Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/chrome.manifest'.

Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/extensions/%7B972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd%7D/chrome.manifest'.

Timestamp: 2/27/15, 11:03:37 AM
Warning: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create
Source File: resource://gre/components/steelApplication.js
Line: 783

OpenGL compositor Initialized Succesfully.
Version: 2.1 INTEL-10.2.46
Vendor: Intel Inc.
Renderer: Intel HD Graphics 5000 OpenGL Engine
FBO Texture Target: TEXTURE_2D

Timestamp: 2/27/15, 11:03:38 AM
Warning: Unknown property 'padding-start'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: https://mozorg.cdn.mozilla.net/media/cs ... f01be0.css
Line: 1, Column: 2922
Source Code:
@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans Light';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Light-webfont.804037562eab.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Light-webfont.963eb3290774.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Light-webfont.ecb4572a5e47.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:normal;font-style:normal}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans Light';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Semibold-webfont.0ea045029306.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Semibold-webfont.56bfcae65300.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Semibold-webfont.b5a0ae86dca8.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:bold;font-style:normal}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans Light';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-LightItalic-webfont.6725fc490942.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-LightItalic-webfont.97534dd40949.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-LightItalic-webfont.26f1e68dfbd8.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:normal;font-style:italic}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Regular-webfont.83efe33660ab.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Regular-webfont.55b8ce1f9a32.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Regular-webfont.3cbf4d3ed22e.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:normal;font-style:normal}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Bold-webfont.7ae9b8ba7886.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Bold-webfont.892667349c5c.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Bold-webfont.5a100916f94b.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:bold;font-style:normal}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Italic-webfont.e487b7cb0725.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Italic-webfont.525074686dfb.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Italic-webfont.9b30f13428e1.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:normal;font-style:italic}html{color:#333;font-size:14px;line-height:1.5;font-family:'Open Sans',X-LocaleSpecific,sans-serif}body{margin:1.5rem;background:url("/media/img/sandstone/bg-gradient-sky.7ea325995978.png") repeat-x,url("/media/img/sandstone/grain.855f29e0c686.png") repeat,#eee}a{color:#0096dd;text-decoration:none}a:hover,a:focus,a:active{color:#00539f;text-decoration:underline}h1,h2{margin:0;font-family:'Open Sans Light',X-LocaleSpecific-Light,'Open Sans',X-LocaleSpecific,sans-serif;font-weight:normal}main{position:relative;overflow:hidden}header,section,footer{box-sizing:padding-box;margin-top:1.5rem;padding:0 1.5rem}header h1,section h2.iconic{position:relative}header h1:before,section h2.iconic:before{display:block;position:absolute;top:0;background-image:url("/media/img/thunderbird/start/sprite.23eaf0044898.png");background-repeat:no-repeat;content:''}footer a{display:inline-block;-moz-padding-start:25px;padding-start:25px}footer a:before{-moz-margin-start:-25px;margin-start:-25px}footer a:before,section a.iconic:before{display:inline-block;-moz-margin-end:5px;margin-end:5px;width:20px;height:20px;background-image:url("/media/img/thunderbird/start/sprite.23eaf0044898.png");background-repeat:no-repeat;vertical-align:text-bottom;content:''}header h1{box-sizing:padding-box;font-size:1.25rem;line-height:1}header h1:before{height:100px}header h1 span{display:block;color:#2666a6;font-size:3rem;letter-spacing:-0.1ex}section h2{font-size:1.25rem;line-height:1.3}section h2.iconic{display:table-cell;-moz-padding-start:55px;padding-start:55px;height:50px;vertical-align:middle}section h2:before{width:50px;height:50px}section.tip h2:before{background-position:0 -100px}section.addons h2:before{background-position:-50px -100px}section.help h2:before{background-position:0 -150px}section.blog h2:before{background-position:-50px -150px}section p{margin:.7em 0 0}section a[href$="Contributing"]:before{background-position:-40px -200px}section a.more:after{content:"\00A0\00BB";white-space:nowrap}footer ul{overflow:hidden;margin:0;padding:0;list-style-type:none}footer li{box-sizing:padding-box;padding-bottom:.5rem}footer a[href*="features"]:before{background-position:0 -200px}footer a[href*="blog"]:before{background-position:-20px -200px}footer a[href*="Contributing"]:before{background-position:-40px -200px}footer a[href*="addons"]:before{background-position:-20px -220px}footer a[href*="support"]:before{background-position:-40px -220px}footer a[href*="how"]:before{background-position:0 -220px}[dir="ltr"] header h1:before,[dir="ltr"] section h2.iconic:before{left:0}[dir="rtl"] header h1:before,[dir="rtl"] section h2.iconic:before{right:0}@media(min-width:1024px){footer li{width:50%;min-width:10em}[lang|="en"] footer li{width:33%}}@media(min-width:800px) and (max-width:1023px){footer li{width:50%}}@media(min-width:800px){main>header,main>div,main>footer{width:50%}[dir="ltr"] main>header,[dir="ltr"] main>div:last-of-type,[dir="ltr"] main>footer,[dir="ltr"] main>footer li{float:left}[dir="ltr"] main>div:first-of-type{float:right}[dir="rtl"] main>header,[dir="rtl"] main>div:last-of-type,[dir="rtl"] main>footer,[dir="rtl"] main>footer li{float:right}

Warning: Unknown property 'margin-end'. Declaration dropped.
Line: 1, Column: 3078
Source Code:
@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans Light';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Light-webfont.804037562eab.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Light-webfont.963eb3290774.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Light-webfont.ecb4572a5e47.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:normal;font-style:normal}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans Light';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Semibold-webfont.0ea045029306.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Semibold-webfont.56bfcae65300.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Semibold-webfont.b5a0ae86dca8.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:bold;font-style:normal}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans Light';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-LightItalic-webfont.6725fc490942.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-LightItalic-webfont.97534dd40949.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-LightItalic-webfont.26f1e68dfbd8.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:normal;font-style:italic}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Regular-webfont.83efe33660ab.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Regular-webfont.55b8ce1f9a32.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Regular-webfont.3cbf4d3ed22e.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:normal;font-style:normal}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Bold-webfont.7ae9b8ba7886.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Bold-webfont.892667349c5c.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Bold-webfont.5a100916f94b.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:bold;font-style:normal}@font-face{font-family:'Open Sans';src:url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Italic-webfont.e487b7cb0725.eot?#iefix") format('embedded-opentype'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Italic-webfont.525074686dfb.woff") format('woff'),url("/media/fonts/OpenSans-Italic-webfont.9b30f13428e1.ttf") format('truetype');font-weight:normal;font-style:italic}html{color:#333;font-size:14px;line-height:1.5;font-family:'Open Sans',X-LocaleSpecific,sans-serif}body{margin:1.5rem;background:url("/media/img/sandstone/bg-gradient-sky.7ea325995978.png") repeat-x,url("/media/img/sandstone/grain.855f29e0c686.png") repeat,#eee}a{color:#0096dd;text-decoration:none}a:hover,a:focus,a:active{color:#00539f;text-decoration:underline}h1,h2{margin:0;font-family:'Open Sans Light',X-LocaleSpecific-Light,'Open Sans',X-LocaleSpecific,sans-serif;font-weight:normal}main{position:relative;overflow:hidden}header,section,footer{box-sizing:padding-box;margin-top:1.5rem;padding:0 1.5rem}header h1,section h2.iconic{position:relative}header h1:before,section h2.iconic:before{display:block;position:absolute;top:0;background-image:url("/media/img/thunderbird/start/sprite.23eaf0044898.png");background-repeat:no-repeat;content:''}footer a{display:inline-block;-moz-padding-start:25px;padding-start:25px}footer a:before{-moz-margin-start:-25px;margin-start:-25px}footer a:before,section a.iconic:before{display:inline-block;-moz-margin-end:5px;margin-end:5px;width:20px;height:20px;background-image:url("/media/img/thunderbird/start/sprite.23eaf0044898.png");background-repeat:no-repeat;vertical-align:text-bottom;content:''}header h1{box-sizing:padding-box;font-size:1.25rem;line-height:1}header h1:before{height:100px}header h1 span{display:block;color:#2666a6;font-size:3rem;letter-spacing:-0.1ex}section h2{font-size:1.25rem;line-height:1.3}section h2.iconic{display:table-cell;-moz-padding-start:55px;padding-start:55px;height:50px;vertical-align:middle}section h2:before{width:50px;height:50px}section.tip h2:before{background-position:0 -100px}section.addons h2:before{background-position:-50px -100px}section.help h2:before{background-position:0 -150px}section.blog h2:before{background-position:-50px -150px}section p{margin:.7em 0 0}section a[href$="Contributing"]:before{background-position:-40px -200px}section a.more:after{content:"\00A0\00BB";white-space:nowrap}footer ul{overflow:hidden;margin:0;padding:0;list-style-type:none}footer li{box-sizing:padding-box;padding-bottom:.5rem}footer a[href*="features"]:before{background-position:0 -200px}footer a[href*="blog"]:before{background-position:-20px -200px}footer a[href*="Contributing"]:before{background-position:-40px -200px}footer a[href*="addons"]:before{background-position:-20px -220px}footer a[href*="support"]:before{background-position:-40px -220px}footer a[href*="how"]:before{background-position:0 -220px}[dir="ltr"] header h1:before,[dir="ltr"] section h2.iconic:before{left:0}[dir="rtl"] header h1:before,[dir="rtl"] section h2.iconic:before{right:0}@media(min-width:1024px){footer li{width:50%;min-width:10em}[lang|="en"] footer li{width:33%}}@media(min-width:800px) and (max-width:1023px){footer li{width:50%}}@media(min-width:800px){main>header,main>div,main>footer{width:50%}[dir="ltr"] main>header,[dir="ltr"] main>div:last-of-type,[dir="ltr"] main>footer,[dir="ltr"] main>footer li{float:left}[dir="ltr"] main>div:first-of-type{float:right}[dir="rtl"] main>header,[dir="rtl"] main>div:last-of-type,[dir="rtl"] main>footer,[dir="rtl"] main>footer li{float:right}

Warning: Unknown property 'padding-start'. Declaration dropped.
Line: 1, Column: 3543
Source Code:

Then there are a bunch of these:
Timestamp: 2/27/15, 11:03:52 AM
Warning: Unknown property 'mso-table-lspace'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: about:blank
Line: 16, Column: 16
Source Code:
mso-table-lspace: 0px;
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Since the problem only occurs with your webhost account on your MacBook Air see if temporarily disabling all add-ons via help -> restart with add-ons disabled has any effect. If not, since its a webhost (where you are the admin), try increasing the number of connections the server accepts (not Thunderbird, the server) like johnsjs did with their Dovecot server.
Macuser85022

Post by Macuser85022 »

It's actually happening on both computers now. The only add-ons that show up are the ones that I have on Firefox. I didn't intentionally add any add-ons to my thunderbird account. I'll try your suggestions on increasing the number of connections on the server. Did any of the error code I posted make any sense? Thanks
tmoody

Post by tmoody »

For what it's worth, I was getting the same message as Macuser85022 and new for a fact that the server was up and functioning properly.

A web search brought me here and reading the post up there from johnsjs made me think "Is the fact I am also currently logged into my email account from my phone causing this?". Yes it was.

So my advice is to log out from your email account on all devices before attempting to connect on another. The target email server may be restricting the number of concurrent connections permitted.

Thanks johnsjs :)
dastew88

Post by dastew88 »

I didn't see where this had been tried yet. Go to your Account Settings, then click Server Settings for the account that is having the issue, then click the Advanced button in the right pane. See what the "Maximum number of server connections to cache" is set to. Changing that option fixed it for me (from 25 to 10).

I'm on Linux, running TB v31.7, so I don't know if / where that option will exist in TB on other OS'. Also, I'm connecting via IMAP...not sure if applies to other protocols.
gibhenry

Post by gibhenry »

Be advised that if you have turned on iCloud (me.com, mac.com) two-factor authentication, Thunderbird simply will not work. To get it working again, you'll have to turn off two-factor authentication, or find some other way to make Thunderbird work with that extra level of security. Turning it off instantly resolved my failure-to-connect problems. Cheers,
--
Gib Henry
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're replying to a thread that died in 2015.
Locking due to old age.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)