Doesn't import vcard phone numbers!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
beskeptical

Doesn't import vcard phone numbers!

Post by beskeptical »

To use Thunderbird is be infested with bugs. Truly unbelievable.

I just spent hours trying to clean up my address book after importing from Mac OS X address book only to realize that Thunderbird did not import a single phone number.

Do Thunderbird developers actually test anything they make???
tanstaafl

Re: Doesn't import vcard phone numbers!

Post by tanstaafl »

One common problem with importing from a .csv or .ldif text file created by a different email client is that the columns might not match, so you might need to edit them using a spreadsheet before importing them. Perhaps you ran into the same type of problem with a vcard.

Last I knew Thunderbird had built-in support to display vcards but you had to install the MoreFunctionsForAddressBook add-on in order to import/export vcards. How did you import them? One reason I ask is that I do not have a Mac, but know that Thunderbird supports read-only access to the OS X system address book. So I'd normally expect somebody to just copy its contents to the personal address book (from within Thunderbird) if they wanted to import it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

No, they're not paying attention. There are a few users in this forum who submit patches but in general the developers do not read these forums.

We are not run by or formally associated with Mozilla despite the similarity in names. We're just a user community. The official support web site is also community based. If you think you found a reproducible bug report it at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ . If you do that please post a link to it.

Edit: This was a reply to a post that was removed by the author.
beskeptical

Post by beskeptical »

Thank you, tanstaafl. That's hopeful. Any idea how to install it? It asks me to choose a program on Mac to install, and I have no idea what that would be.

I'm rather amazed that Thunderbird does not so much as may its existing address book birthday field to the vcard birthday field, or phone numbers to phone numbers, and that it transposes private and work addresses. This just seems like sloppy development.

But you keep proving yourself a software life safer, which I hope will be the case here too if I can figure out how to install MoreFunctionsForAddressBook.
beskeptical

Post by beskeptical »

Oh, figured out the installation process. I'll play around with it now.
beskeptical

Post by beskeptical »

Wow, tanstaafl, that did it. You really know your stuff. I never would have found the extension to make that possible. Now how nice it would be for others if Thunderbird actually mapped its fields properly natively.