Transferring mozmsgs and msf files

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Starlite

Transferring mozmsgs and msf files

Post by Starlite »

TB 31.6 and Win 7

If I want to just take some of the emails from specific folderr to another computer with the same TB can I just..

Go to Profile/Mail/Local Folders/Clients.sbd

and choose what I need.. say..

client1.mozmsgs
client1.msf
client1

etc and place in the same place in the other computer ?

Thanks

oz
DanRaisch

Re: Transferring mozmsgs and msf files

Post by DanRaisch »

You won't need either .mozmsg or .msf files as Thunderbird will recreate those as required. Only the files with the same name as the folder to be copied and with no file name extension actually contain your messages. In your example that would seem to be the file named client1. Files with the suffix .mozmsg are there to help integrate Thunderbird with Windows search functionality while the files with the extension .msf are summary/index files that do not contain complete message content.

See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders

Note that when if you are working with older and newer versions of files for the same email account, copying a message file like client1 from a Thunderbird on one machine to a Thunderbird profile on another will replace the data on the second system, not append it. Be sure to copy that file to a location on the target hard drive outside the Thunderbird profile or do the import from a flash drive.