Enter with an account

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
laudilus

Enter with an account

Post by laudilus »

I am trying this :

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Show_Inbox_wh ... hunderbird

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -mail mailbox://someone@pop.example.net/Templates

I think /Templates is a subfolder of the example account.

I am trying this :

"Y:\PORTABLES\Navegadores . Internet . Correo\ThunderbirdPortable\ThunderbirdPortable.exe" -mail mailbox://123456@gmail.com/Bandeja de entrada

But I don't get even TB launched. Nothing happen.

Best Regards
morat

Re: Enter with an account

Post by morat »

You can only open a message specified by a url, not a folder.

Fails with a folder url:

Code: Select all

thunderbird.exe -mail "mailbox://user%40gmail.com@pop.googlemail.com/Templates"

Succeeds with a message url:

thunderbird.exe -mail "mailbox-message://user%40gmail.com@pop.googlemail.com/Templates#12345"

You can evaluate a message url for a selected message in the error console.

var hdr = top.opener.gFolderDisplay.selectedMessage; alert(hdr.folder.getUriForMsg(hdr));
laudilus

Post by laudilus »

I can't understand what you are telling me.

what url ?
I use thunderbird in local site, not in the web.

Best Regars
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

A URL (uniform resource locator) is not limited to specifying something on the web. You can use a different URI scheme (such as file instead of http) to specify what type of thing you're specifying the location of. For example if I use File -> Open File in Firefox to open a file on my hard disk, the URL is something like file:///C:/Users/Eric/Downloads/290E356700000578-0-image-a-111_1432562109743.jpg . In Morat's post, its specifying the location of a message. I suggest you select a message and then enter the code he mentioned in tools -> error console. When I do that and press the evaluate button I get

imap-message://user%40fastmail.fm@mail.messagingengine.com/INBOX#39151 in my Fastmail IMAP account and
mailbox-message://user%40gmail.com@pop.googlemail.com/Inbox#5455 in my Gmail POP account . In both cases I've replaced my username with user
laudilus

Post by laudilus »

Mmmmmmm
I will try and comment.
Best Regards
rpgoldman25

Post by rpgoldman25 »

tanstaafl wrote:A URL (uniform resource locator) is not limited to specifying something on the web. You can use a different URI scheme (such as file instead of http) to specify what type of thing you're specifying the location of. For example if I use File -> Open File in Firefox to open a file on my hard disk, the URL is something like file:///C:/Users/Eric/Downloads/290E356700000578-0-image-a-111_1432562109743.jpg . In Morat's post, its specifying the location of a message. I suggest you select a message and then enter the code he mentioned in tools -> error console. When I do that and press the evaluate button I get

imap-message://user%40fastmail.fm@mail.messagingengine.com/INBOX#39151 in my Fastmail IMAP account and
mailbox-message://user%40gmail.com@pop.googlemail.com/Inbox#5455 in my Gmail POP account . In both cases I've replaced my username with user

Question: is there some way to get a URL that will be stable over moves of the message? I.e., if I file message M into folder F, my old INBOX#nnnn URL won't work, right? The Thunderbird fork, Postbox, has URLs that do not change. I wondered if maybe there were two kinds of message URL in Thunderbird itself....
rpgoldman25

Post by rpgoldman25 »

morat wrote:You can ... open a message specified by a url, not a folder.

Succeeds with a message url:

thunderbird.exe -mail "mailbox-message://user%40gmail.com@pop.googlemail.com/Templates#12345"

Is there some way to make this work to pop up a window for a message in an already running Thunderbird? If I try the -mail argument to thunderbird (at least on the Mac), when TB is already running, I just get a modal dialog box with an error message telling me that I can only have one copy of TB.

I don't actually want two copies of TB running: I just want the already running one to pop up a window. Is it possible to do this? I believe that FF had a way to request execution of some code from the command-line, but I'm not sure that this has ever worked on Mac OS X.

Quick follow-up: this should be doable with the

-remote
command-line argument, but as far as I can tell, this is busted on the Mac.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

rpgoldman25 wrote:Question: is there some way to get a URL that will be stable over moves of the message?

Probably not. It doesn't use the value of the Message-ID: header.