MozillaZine

The last used Address Book

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TallMuch

Post Posted July 8th, 2015, 1:02 am

Win7, Thunderbird 38.0.1 and 38.1.0 (candidate) - When compiling a new message the last used address book is never stored, only All Address Books can be seen. Not a great problem but it slightly irritates. Any suggestions?
P.S. I mean the address book which is displayed by F9 in Contacts field.

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 8th, 2015, 4:27 am

That's the way it works with the change to displaying all address books by default. There are bugs filed on the issue but it's not known if the functionality will be changed to retain "last used" or any other options.

TallMuch

Post Posted July 8th, 2015, 9:42 am

Thanks! At least now I know that it works as expected.

dfoulkes

Post Posted July 14th, 2015, 12:09 pm

If Mozilla doesn't restore-back the way it was prior to version 38... I see a small extension coming that will 'fix' another great un-needed change to their products... at least I hope to see it in the near future.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 14th, 2015, 12:34 pm

I actually don't find it an issue at all.

dfoulkes

Post Posted July 14th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Wellll.. I see that they did fix something in this last update today.... B4 when I would start up T.B and composed an email I would of course have to hunt down the contact and then send... If I created another email it would display all the contacts again ...Now it remembers the last section like it used to... So it's just at startup that it displays all. I can live with that.

dfoulkes

Post Posted July 15th, 2015, 1:31 pm

I'll have to change my position on this .... when you click on a link to email it to somebody it still shows the whole list and one has to then go to the various folders to pick up certain contacts... but when you are actually creating an email within T.B. ... then the last folder that you used is recognized... so with that... I hope that an extension is created to 'fix' this 'enhancement'.

halifaxdiana

Post Posted July 16th, 2015, 2:00 pm

This change assumes everyone uses the system the same way: typing in names and using the auto-complete. I don't work that way. I prefer to populate my address fields by scrolling through custom address books and clicking on the names of people I want to reach. Previous Thunderbird versions opened a new message with the previously used address book as the default. Now the default address book provided in a new message is this massive cumulative address book which is useless to me in my scroll-and-click method of working. I don't want to change my way of working. I want Thunderbird to accommodate my work style.

Thunderbird could have made it possible for me to keep working the way I like if it had offered a way to choose which address book is the default. By making only the cumulative all-address book the default, with no way to change that, this software change means I have to make two clicks (Address book drop-down menu arrow, then select the address book I want) before I can start populating my address field. Very annoying. I will probably drop Thunderbird if they don't add in a way to customize the default address book in the very, very near future.

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 16th, 2015, 2:17 pm

It's not "the cumulative" list or nothing. The selector to choose which address book is displayed is still available there.

And just so we're clear here, this forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.

halifaxdiana

Post Posted July 16th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I've hunted and hunted and I can't find the place to change the default. Can you point me in the right direction?

And even though this forum isn't officially affiliated with mozilla, mozilla keeps an eye on comments posted to these types of forums. Voices heard here can have impact, sometimes more than from an email sent to mozilla itself.

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 16th, 2015, 3:14 pm

I didn't say you could change the default. I said you were not limited to viewing the consolidated address book listing and that you could choose which address book will be displayed.

As far as Mozilla monitoring these forums, we'd like to think so but I'm not sure just how much impact that involves.

Return to Thunderbird Support