Installed 38.1.0 and lost my email function

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
farmer1945

Installed 38.1.0 and lost my email function

Post by farmer1945 »

I was advised to install the latest version of Thunderbird, and did so. Now I find that my email has been affected to the point I cannot read incoming mail. Incoming mail appears as usual in the top half of the inbox, and when I click on one of them, it USED to open in the lower half, which I could scroll if it is a long note. There was a delete button in the upper right. Double clicking used to cause it to open in a larger screen, as a new tab.

Now the single click does not open it at all in the bottom half, and the double click opens a new tab, but the screen is blank in every case. No delete button either. :x
DanRaisch

Re: Installed 38.1.0 and lost my email function

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
farmer1945

Post by farmer1945 »

Hah. Interesting. I now can get inbasket items opened in the bottom half of the screen. Is that a clue ?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It is.

1. Try turning off hardware acceleration in Thunderbird and then restart the program normally. See if the problem returns. If not, you can run with that setting. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2555861

2. If that doesn't resolve things, it may indicate that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
farmer1945

Post by farmer1945 »

Could you please provide a simple link to disabling hardware acceleration ? thanks in advance. The one above took me all over the place.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General->uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available". Close and then restart Thunderbird.
Sazquatch

Post by Sazquatch »

I encountered the same problem. My solution was to uninstall 38.1.0 and reinstall 24.4.0 with updates disabled -- Maybe a bit drastic, but that was to only back level installation file that I had. My E-mail is now functioning. I was unable to find a back level installation file on-line.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird explains where to find every version of the Thunderbird setup program.