thunderbird freezing since upgrading to windows10

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
flymike

Re: thunderbird freezing since upgrading to windows10

Post by flymike »

I agree, Thunderbird is unusable on Windows 10.
I have tried Win7 Compatibility (with & without Administrator) but sill get the freezes. The difference is that I don't see the rotating blue circles when it is frozen in Win7 mode.
I also don't think the problem is firewall related. I tried disabling Windows Firewall completely, and see no improvement.
I also increased my mailbox poll intervals. Again, no difference.
ArKay

Post by ArKay »

Running it in Windows 8 compatibility mode seems to work fine for me! No admin rights required.

Looks like people are having a couple of different issues?
ArKay

Post by ArKay »

Weeeeell, I spoke too soon. It still freezes. Even in Win 7 comp. mode and admin rights. Sick of it!

Anyone know any other good email clients?
fcsp

Post by fcsp »

I experienced the freezing of TB 38.6.0 after an upgrade from Win7 64 Bit to Win 10 64 Bit. Nearly (!) each time a message should be deleted, TB froze for 10 to 120 seconds before it responded again.

It stopped happening immediatly and permanently when I forbid TB to support the system global search and indexing (options-->advanced-->general-->enable global search and indexer).
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

fcsp wrote:I experienced the freezing of TB 38.6.0 after an upgrade from Win7 64 Bit to Win 10 64 Bit. Nearly (!) each time a message should be deleted, TB froze for 10 to 120 seconds before it responded again.

It stopped happening immediatly and permanently when I forbid TB to support the system global search and indexing (options-->advanced-->general-->enable global search and indexer).
For users who have updated to Windows 10, the most common cause of performance issues is Antivirus software. You should explore that aspect https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... nce_Issues
jkohler9

Post by jkohler9 »

I had the freezing problem while deleting email if I was in the reading pane with the message I wanted to delete. If I left the message pane and went back to whatever mailbox the message was stored in, I could delete it without getting the "Thunderbird is not responding" message. I'm running Win 10, on a dell 64bit inspirion 4457.