Thunderbird using wrong return address on some messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ebtrr

Thunderbird using wrong return address on some messages

Post by ebtrr »

On certain messages when I reply or forward it, it uses the return address for a different account than the one it came in on. It only affects two specific messages that I have noted, both that I receive regularly. 1) notifications from Craigslist and 2) a monthly alert message manually sent form one user sent to a large group of addresses. In both cases I confirmed that the address in X-Original-To does not match the account it is trying to send them from. It does not seem to affect any other messages. I can change the account it is being sent from to the right one, but I don't understand why it is trying to send these messages from another account and it has bitten me in the bot several times when I have forgotten to manually change it.. Note that I have all my accounts set to dump to one set of folders, but only one account is currently receiving any messages.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird using wrong return address on some messages

Post by tanstaafl »

It sounds like messages sent to multiple email addresses will show up in a specific accounts inbox, and this causes problems when you try to reply to a message that was not sent to the default email address for that account.

The normal solution is to configure multiple identities in that account. If you do that it will automatically default to replying using the email address the message was sent to. Another solution would be to set mailnews.reply_to_self_check_all_ident true using the config editor. The benefit of using multiple identities instead is it also lets you send a new message from that account using whatever email address you select from the From: drop down list box.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_iden ... il_account
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.
ebtrr

Post by ebtrr »

tanstaafl wrote:It sounds like messages sent to multiple email addresses will show up in a specific accounts inbox, and this causes problems when you try to reply to a message that was not sent to the default email address for that account.

Just the opposite is happening. Certain messages come in on the default account address but forwards or replies for that message gets the return address of a different non-defualt account.