MozillaZine

Thunderbird 38.2.0 "Not responding...

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 121598
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted August 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm

You're quite welcome, A.C.

noodlesZ978
 
Posts: 2
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 2:41 pm

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 8:36 am

@jimmyb_tbuser

I had the same problem going on here for the last year with various versions of Thunderbird [38.3 at the moment] in Windows 8, 8.1 and now 10.

TB stalled out for minutes when retrieving messages and was "not responding" anymore. Force quitting out of TB was often the only way to fix it. So it became the normal routine: get mail, force quit TB, start it up again [sometimes several times] and finally read email.

I tried a variety of different solutions, which sometimes made it work for a couple of hours, but never fixed it all together. Well, I finally found a very easy solution that actually fixed the problem for good.

In Thunderbird go to:
Tools > Options and select the "Advanced" tab and under that stay on "General" tab.

Make sure to uncheck the following boxes:
Allow Windows Search to search messages
Enable Global Search and Indexer
Use hardware acceleration when available

I hope this does the trick for you as it did for me. It feels great to have TB work again without any delays.

wsmwk
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: December 7th, 2004, 6:52 am

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 12:37 pm

noodlesZ978 wrote:@jimmyb_tbuser

I had the same problem going on here for the last year with various versions of Thunderbird [38.3 at the moment] in Windows 8, 8.1 and now 10.

TB stalled out for minutes when retrieving messages and was "not responding" anymore. Force quitting out of TB was often the only way to fix it. So it became the normal routine: get mail, force quit TB, start it up again [sometimes several times] and finally read email.

I tried a variety of different solutions, which sometimes made it work for a couple of hours, but never fixed it all together. Well, I finally found a very easy solution that actually fixed the problem for good.

In Thunderbird go to:
Tools > Options and select the "Advanced" tab and under that stay on "General" tab.

Make sure to uncheck the following boxes:
Allow Windows Search to search messages
Enable Global Search and Indexer
Use hardware acceleration when available

I hope this does the trick for you as it did for me. It feels great to have TB work again without any delays.

Interesting - but WHICH one of the 3 made the difference??

For example, "Allow Windows Search to search messages" is often a drain on performance. The others, not so much.

noodlesZ978
 
Posts: 2
Joined: September 30th, 2015, 2:41 pm

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 12:44 pm

Well, here the "details" as of how I got to it all...

The order I unchecked them was:
1. Use hardware acceleration when available and Enable Global Search and Indexer.
That fixed it for a little bit, but I still had the problem pop back up after a day or so.

2. Allow Windows Search to search messages
Once that was unchecked, no more problems.

Not that I think it matters as of which order it was done in. I would recommend unchecking the 3.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 121598
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 12:49 pm

It's less an issue of the order they're switched off than of whether or not all three must be off to overcome the problem for those who are experiencing it. If they want to use the Global Search and Indexer, they may be able to leave it on if the real problem was allowing Windows Search.

wsmwk
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: December 7th, 2004, 6:52 am

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 1:11 pm

Unfortunately users all too often get "Allow Windows Search to search messages" switch on and don't know it, because it's an offering given with the OS integration prompt when Thunderbird first starts. (And then suffer needlessly)

Sir Les
 
Posts: 1
Joined: December 8th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Post Posted December 8th, 2015, 9:19 pm

@noodlesZ978

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've had the "Thunderbird not responding" message on my netbook for about a week now and it's been driving me nuts! Thunderbird has worked fine on my netbook (Win7) and desktop (Win8.1) for literally years without a problem, until recently. Only the netbook was affected. I upgraded to v. 38.4, tried starting in Windows safe mode, in T'bird safe mode, disabled extensions, compacted folders -- didn't make a blind bit of difference. After reading your post I unticked "Allow Windows Search to search messages" and "Enable Global Search and Indexer" (hardware acceleration was already unticked) and bingo! Back to normal again. Phew!

I checked the desktop settings (also v. 38.4) and found that "Allow Windows Search to search messages" and "Use hardware acceleration" were already unticked. "Enable Global Search and Indexer" was ticked. I haven't touched these settings since I got the program so why they should be different from the netbook's is a puzzle.

From the above it appears the culprit is Windows Search. It may prevent a lot of heartache and frustration if the default for this option is OFF in future.

Return to Thunderbird Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests