Confirm security exception permanently ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TTCC5511

Confirm security exception permanently ?

Post by TTCC5511 »

Hello,

Since one or two week I use a new computer that is running Win 10 (previousvly Win 7).
Since then thunderbird keeps asking me if I want to confirm security exception for my usual pop3 accounts.
Even if I check the box to make it remember that answer.

This is asked for sure every time I reboot, for each pop account, or if I use the computer for some time.
How can I fix this ?

Not sure if it has any impact but in the process of transfering from a computer to another I used MozBackup, which seems to have some deprecated functions but still seems to work using some twists.

Thank you for your help.
tanstaafl

Re: Confirm security exception permanently ?

Post by tanstaafl »

Check the host name in the certificate to see if you are truly getting the same security exception request each time. They might be using several mail servers behind a load balancing router.

See if the problem always occurs if you exit and restart Thunderbird. Try changing a trivial setting, exit and restart Thunderbird and see if that change is also lost. There might be file permissions problems with some of your files. Thunderbird typically doesn't complain if that occurs.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/SSL_Security_Error
TTCC5511

Post by TTCC5511 »

I have done some more testing based on your message.
Check the host name in the certificate to see if you are truly getting the same security exception request each time. They might be using several mail servers behind a load balancing router.
All host names are like "pop.[OneOfMyDomains]:995. This would not explain why I don't get this problem with identical settings on two other computers.
Only difference is that my main computer deletes messages from server, and now it is the most recent one, the one that has the problem. Also this computer on has Windows 10, the other two have Windows 7.
One of the computers that doesn't have the issue was also set using MozBackup, so MozBackup is probably not the cause of the problem.
See if the problem always occurs if you exit and restart Thunderbird. Try changing a trivial setting, exit and restart Thunderbird ...
I have just tried that, changed "Check for new message at start up" on one of my accounts. The change is not lost. I have even tried restarting the computer as this seem to trigger the "security exception" window more regularly than simply restarting/using Thunderbird. But the change still wasn't lost.
TTCC5511

Post by TTCC5511 »

Hello,

This is still going on and is very harrassing. Still only happens on the Win 10 computer.
TTCC5511

Post by TTCC5511 »

No idea anybody ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"This would not explain why I don't get this problem with identical settings on two other computers. "

Then copy the profile from one of the good PC's to the bad PC. See either http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird or http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_to_a_new_PC . I suspect your prefs.js files are not as identical as you think.
TTCC5511

Post by TTCC5511 »

What should I look at in prefs.js ?

I check for example all mail.server.server7.* parameters and they are perfectly similar.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The prefs.js file has all of your settings.
dgore

Post by dgore »

I got rid of this problem by uninstalling Avast antivirus.