SMTP sending fails (timed out)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: SMTP sending fails (timed out)

Post by tanstaafl »

Try temporarily using ReminderFox instead of Lightning, if its not practical to go without a calendar add-on for a while to see if Lightning is the culprit. It has just a subset of Lightning features, but it might temporarily meet your needs, and you can import the *.ics file that Lightning uses.
gwj2001us

Post by gwj2001us »

I checked..... and her computer is running the same version of Thunderbird as I am -- 38.5.0 -

Her computer is sending out emails - she uses the Thunderbird autoresponder for our business and it has successfully sent out dozens of messages while I can't send out one.

Again, nothing has changed on my computer - Thunderbird just started giving me these error messages yesterday.
Want solution

Post by Want solution »

gwj2001us wrote:I checked..... and her computer is running the same version of Thunderbird as I am -- 38.5.0 -

Her computer is sending out emails - she uses the Thunderbird autoresponder for our business and it has successfully sent out dozens of messages while I can't send out one.

Again, nothing has changed on my computer - Thunderbird just started giving me these error messages yesterday.
Try these two tests. First, try sending an email from your wife's computer that has a large attachment... say 2-4 MB. Next, try sending an email from your computer that is very short (say, a word or two) with no attachments. If the large email fails to send, and the small email sends successfully, that will show that the problem only applies to large emails, which has been my experience.

Meanwhile, tanstaafl, I tried disabling Lightning, that did not make any difference. What makes you suspect that Lightning is the culprit? Do you have reason to believe that, supposing it were the culprit, it would be necessary to actually remove the Add-on, not just disable it?
suet_yyp

Post by suet_yyp »

DanRaisch wrote:
I am also not using any type of antivirus software so this is clearly not the problem.
Are you running any firewall software, even Windows built in? Time outs very often indicate a problem on the server side or a security software slowing down the interaction between Thunderbird and the server.

sdhberg, what security software, regardless of its update status, are you running on that system?

suet_yyp, you haven't replied to my question above. "Do you have your full Outlook email address entered as the User Name for the Outlook SMTP server?"
Yes, I put in my full email address as a user name.
I now added a custom yandex.com (bitrix24) account and also get a time out error. However, inlike mentioned by others, I can not send any mail, even with no attachments.
Deactivating Win 7 firewall did not change anything.
suet_yyp

Post by suet_yyp »

My problem is solved. Seemed that my ISP or router is blocking all the possible SMTP ports. Just went to a friends wireless and all is good.
Pete L

Post by Pete L »

I am having the same problem.
I have been using Thunderbird on my current computer for nearly 12 months and all of a sudden I can no longer send emails.
This is very frustrating given it is a business email and I can not contact my customers :(

Does anyone have a fix for this yet?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you reviewed any of the suggestions posted above to try to resolve the issue? Security software, see if the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Pete L

Post by Pete L »

I have now tried all of those options and none are working.
I am going on a week now with no email access.

Is there a way to go back to the previous version of thunderbird?
Cheers Pete.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird . I suggest you install an older version of Thunderbird in a separate directory (chose custom setup to do that), rather than uninstalling the current version and then installing an older version in the same location.
Pete L

Post by Pete L »

Tried that, nothing has fixed it.
gfjd45

Post by gfjd45 »

gfjd45 wrote:
sdhberg wrote:Thunderbird is 38.5.0. As far as I can discern no updates to AV or FW software.
Hi everybody!
If this can be of any help, I have also noticed SMTP timeout failures when sending with TB 38.5.0 that never happened before the recent upgrade.
This happens with 3 different smtp servers when trying to send HTML formatted email messages containing small sized images (100k range) or attachments: the sending notification works correctly up to 100% then nothing happens until it shows the SMTP timeout message as indicated by suet_yyp above.
NB: I have compacted the relevant files and rebuilt the indexes, but the problem remains.
Re other messages: yes, I use TB with several profiles (4) and SMTP servers.
I recently upgraded to TB 38.5.1 and the problem is now solved.
Many thanks to all!
Want solution

Post by Want solution »

DanRaisch wrote:...see if the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
I tried Safe Mode, the problem remains exactly as it is.
DanRaisch wrote:Have you reviewed any of the suggestions posted above to try to resolve the issue?
There are six different people who have posted here that they're having this problem, and not one of us have reported solving the problem by any of the proposed solutions. Moreover, every proposed solution someone has reported trying to no avail... with the exception of installing an older version of Thunderbird which no one has reported trying. It's not the SMTP settings, it's not security software, it's not Lightning, and Safe Mode doesn't fix it.

This is so clearly a bug in versions 38.4.0-38.5.0. Six different people don't just all start having the same problem, at the same time, suddenly and without changing anything, because of a problem with security settings that none of us had changed.

Of the six people with this problem, one has reported that his ISP or router was blocking the port used for sending. But this is clearly not what's happening to me since I can send messages if they're very small, so the port is clearly not blocked, plus the problem still persists if I use a commercial VPN (which would solve any problem if my ISP were blocking port 587) and I haven't changed any router configuration settings since it was working.

Other than that, the only solution that *anyone* has reported working is waiting for an upgrade to version 38.5.1. I hope this does fix it for the rest of us. For some of us this means waiting (and going without the ability to send mail) until our distributions push the update out.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Version 38.5.1 is available from Mozilla -- https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all/
wandy

Post by wandy »

Same problem here Win 10 TB 38.5.1
Time out on sending email. Tested different smtp server. windows defender off. Compress folder etc. etc.
Update did not help.

Small email is most of time no problem, but an email with an attachment of 33k is always a problem.
Looks like email size is problem.
This forum post looks like the same problem.http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5&start=15

Stange thing is other pc with same windows and Thunder bird has no problems.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Wandy, what firewall are you using? Did you use any security software before Win Defender?