Folders disappear in Live.com email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
CRACING

Re: Folders disappear in Live.com email

Post by CRACING »

Hello all,

I'm facing same issue with live account lately. Folder subscription doesn't work but it does with Gmail so it has to do with live only.

However, I have a fix. Disable/untick "Show only subscribed folders" in Account Settings -> (Your live account only) -> Server Settings -> Advanced -> Advanced Account Settings 'dialog'.

Restart Thunderbird and you should have all the folders that are present in server.

Thanks...
Best Regards
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Thanks very much for the information, Cracing. This worked for me (with a caveat). For people that can't see how to do this and to get the setting right do the following:

(1) In the left-hand pane of TB right-click on the heading of the email account that is giving problems and select Settings

(2) In the Settings dialogue that opens click on "Server Settings" (left-hand pane) for the account that is has problems.

(3) In the right-hand side Server Settings dialogue that is displayed look for the section titled "Server Settings" and click on its "Advanced..." button. (A new dialogue will open up.)

(4) In that dialogue there is an item titled "Show only subscribed folders". Uncheck that item (i.e. disable it) then OK your way out of the two dialogues.

(5) Close down then restart TB - your folders should all show up again after you login.

The caveat that I have is that I now have two "Deleted" folders. One the standard one that has a trash-bin icon. The other a plain folder (icon) titled "Deleted". If I delete an email it gets sent to the trash-bin icon Deleted folder (i.e. to where it is meant to go). So things work as they should but there are now two Deleted folders.
CRACING

Post by CRACING »

BuddhaNature wrote:The caveat that I have is that I now have two "Deleted" folders. One the standard one that has a trash-bin icon. The other a plain folder (icon) titled "Deleted". If I delete an email it gets sent to the trash-bin icon Deleted folder (i.e. to where it is meant to go). So things work as they should but there are now two Deleted folders.
I have just checked this thing and here is what I have understood:

When you delete any mails or folders in website (i.e mail.live.com or outlook.com), they are moved to Deleted folder (The one that has folder icon).

When you delete any mails in Thunderbird, they are moved to Trash folder (The one that has trash-bin icon).

The Trash folder can be deleted in Thunderbird or in the website but if you do, the deleted mails from Thunderbird cannot be viewed. Not sure whether they delete permanently or hide somewhere.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Mmm... I actually have two Hotmail accounts. I have now made the same Server Settings for both accounts (i.e. disabled "Show only subscribed folders"). Yet only one account, the one that was giving the problems discussed in this thread, has two Deleted folders. The other account, which I wasn't having problems with, still just shows only the Deleted folder with the Trash-bin icon.

I wonder why the two accounts are different in this respect.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In Thunderbird check the setting under Edit->Account Settings->Server Settings->When I delete a message->Move it to... and select the "Deleted on <Account name here>" from the drop down menu.
CRACING

Post by CRACING »

DanRaisch wrote:In Thunderbird check the setting under Edit->Account Settings->Server Settings->When I delete a message->Move it to... and select the "Deleted on <Account name here>" from the drop down menu.
I think this works. Now the deleted mails move to Deleted folder as well as those deleted in website. Trash folder is not required anymore and can be deleted. Don't how I missed this setting.

Thank you very much, Sir. :D
sixstring95

Post by sixstring95 »

The folders weren't syncing with Thunderbird until yesterday, when they "magically" reappeared on their own. Now everything seems to be working just fine. Maybe the Hotmail/Outlook/Live emails got the patch they needed.
istrasci

Post by istrasci »

sixstring95 wrote:The folders weren't syncing with Thunderbird until yesterday, when they "magically" reappeared on their own. Now everything seems to be working just fine. Maybe the Hotmail/Outlook/Live emails got the patch they needed.
My local machine seems to confirm this. I (re)checked the "Show only subscribed folders" box in the account settings, and they are showing correctly again (as well as the non-subscribed folders NOT showing).