Message won't download . . .

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: Message won't download . . .

Post by tanstaafl »

When prompted for a password there should also be checkbox to save it.

The new account wizard defaults to using OAuth2 for the authentication method the last time I tried it. If you selected "normal password" you can change the authentication method after it added the account using tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings -> authentication method.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

tanstaafl wrote:When prompted for a password there should also be checkbox to save it.

The new account wizard defaults to using OAuth2 for the authentication method the last time I tried it. If you selected "normal password" you can change the authentication method after it added the account using tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings -> authentication method.
EDIT, to clarify:
Firefox is signed into BOTH new gmail accounts I created last night. I can send mail fine with my business account, but when I try to send with my personal account is when I get the password window, below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Password: When I try to send a message from TB, the following browser window pops up and asks for my PW. Wherever there is the option of saving it, I always do. FWIW, this email account IS signed on within Firefox.

Here are the only options that show for authentication, and I've tried them all:

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can't save a Thunderbird password in a browser window and you're looking in the wrong Thunderbird configuration area for settings for the SMTP server, used when sending messages.

Try menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->select that Gmail account at the top right then click on the "Edit" button. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5#p5976255
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think OAuth2 is not available for POP accounts unless you upgrade to version 45 or later. See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14576177 . Its available for IMAP accounts with your version. I suspect the SMTP server does not have that limitation.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Dan: As soon as I read that I was looking in the wrong spot I knew immediately what you meant. I only have a fundamental knowledge of this stuff and it has been very nerve-wracking here lately, especially trying to send and receive business emails with Frontier which hasn't really worked at all in over 24 hours.

I was running a marathon last night (and today) trying to set up two new email accounts and my brain was definitely overloaded, and still is.

However, for the record: The one account that was working correctly I had switched the outgoing to "Use Default Server" sometime last night, but never did that on the account that wasn't working correctly. So after reading your reply I copied the other account and set it to "Default Server" and it now sends correctly, with no browser windows popping up or anything.

It's always just some stupid simple setting somewhere seems like. Good luck finding it, for me anyway.

Tan, also FTR, I'm running the latest TB, v. 45.0. I have it on auto update.

At any rate, looks like I'm on the right side of all this finally.

THANKS TO YOU BOTH!

Enjoy!

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Dang, more problems regarding my two new gmail accounts, which I am using only through TB.

I sent someone a note from my personal account this morning. I am sure of it because a copy of it is in my "Sent" folder. I get a reply and it comes to my business address. My original message, copied in the reply, shows it coming from my business addy.

Since my last post:

Sometime yesterday the outgoing server on my personal account AUTOMATICALLY changed from "Default" to Frontier. I happened to check it because an email I was sending wouldn't go. I changed it, and my business addy, to the smtp.gmail.com. server (which I don't think was available in the beginning of all this). Now I see my personal account is back to "Default."

What is going on? Does it grab whatever server happens to be working better? How did a message sent from my personal account show to the recipient as coming from my business account?

I can't be having personal notes, like to my GF, being sent to my business contacts. <-- Does this have anything to do with the outgoing server issues?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Regarding the non-Gmail accounts, have you linked each account to its own SMTP server? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... TP_Servers

Regarding the Gmail accounts, check the same settings but also check the settings on Google's settings pages for each account, specifically the "Send mail as" settings under "Accounts and Import".
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

DanRaisch wrote:Regarding the non-Gmail accounts, have you linked each account to its own SMTP server? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... TP_Servers

Regarding the Gmail accounts, check the same settings but also check the settings on Google's settings pages for each account, specifically the "Send mail as" settings under "Accounts and Import".
Wow, my brain is fried.

I checked the webmail settings. Both were okay, except my shown name in my business addy, which I changed. It was showing correctly when sending from TB.

Renaming the outgoing servers. This is all new to me. I've noticed that the dropdown box often has various selections. I've changed both accounts so many times in the past few days that I can't keep track. But I DO know that they don't stay where I put them. Why is this, and how do I prevent it?

So per your instructions/link, I changed (yet again) my personal outgoing to "Google mail - smtp.gmail.com", which was in the dropdown.

I changed my business outgoing to that same server, only I renamed it per your link.

I will test by sending mail back and forth to various accounts aside from gmail. I will have to use my old Frontier business account until I get this to work reliably.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I tried sending from my business account, which, as noted above, I changed the server name. It's asking for a password. I entered the PW for the web account but it won't take it. I've gone through all the server settings etc. on TB but don't even see any mention of entering, or changing, any passwords. I suppose it's there somewhere, but buried.

This is getting friggin' ridiculous. I'm about ready to give up.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

I've searched the "server rejecting password" problem on this site and I can't absorb any more of it, nor do I even want to try.

I'm thinking of just deleting my business account and starting over.

What do I have to watch when setting it up to avoid the above mess?

Should I use the gmail server I renamed earlier today, or, if I delete the account will the that server go out with it? What password should I enter, the same one as on the web account?
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Haha, from Tech Radar.com, reviewing email clients, RED emphasis added:

Mozilla Thunderbird

Created by Mozilla, the same developer behind the Firefox web browser, Thunderbird is minimalistic in design, offering simple options such as Get Mail and Write. Setting up an email account is quick and easy, needing only your email address and password (no server settings here) with options to import your calendar and contacts alongside your mail.

Hahaha, right.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

That's if you are setting up for a well known service whose required server settings are in the TBird data base. Otherwise you"ll need to find the required parameters and enter them manually yourself.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

makaiguy wrote:That's if you are setting up for a well known service whose required server settings are in the TBird data base. Otherwise you"ll need to find the required parameters and enter them manually yourself.
I think gmail is pretty well known.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The problem with Gmail is not configuring the account in Thunderbird, its what preparation you need to do in the google account (enable use less secure app) and/or webmail settings (enable IMAP). I recently tried to replace a several year old Gmail IMAP account with a Gmail POP account using the same email address. The new account wizard kept complaining that the username/password was wrong until I logged into the google account and enabled use less secure apps. The Gmail POP3 server does not support OAuth2, so its not clear why Google made me jump through this additional hoop unless its part of a attempt to push their apps.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

tanstaafl wrote:The problem with Gmail is not configuring the account in Thunderbird, its what preparation you need to do in the google account (enable use less secure app) and/or webmail settings (enable IMAP). I recently tried to replace a several year old Gmail IMAP account with a Gmail POP account using the same email address. The new account wizard kept complaining that the username/password was wrong until I logged into the google account and enabled use less secure apps. The Gmail POP3 server does not support OAuth2, so its not clear why Google made me jump through this additional hoop unless its part of a attempt to push their apps.
Thanks for the reply, but it's a bit over my head.

What I need to know is how to make SURE that a recipient gets an email from me with the address that I actually used, not one of the other addresses I have on TB. It has happened several times now in the past couple of days.

Does it have something to do with the outgoing server, which TB seems to select randomly? -- apparently, from the above posts. I need to know how to set this up correctly, because it won't do it by itself. I've deleted my Gmail business account on TB and on Google and will start from scratch.