Folder Questions

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
pgollon

Folder Questions

Post by pgollon »

Hi,

I just installed tb 38.7.0. I like its customization abilities, but have been stymied by a folder issue. I have only one email account (aol), and am running Win 7 on a PC. Everything is stored locally.

I have an "Old Mail" folder, but it does not fill up with emails as I read them. I would like every email I read to AUTOMATICALLY be moved to the old mail folder unless I Mark as Unread. How do I do this?

Yes, I know I can Quick Filter my inbox to show ONLY unread, but I also want to also do just the opposite in a separate folder: isolate already read emails so I can quickly find one I recently read.

Separate from the above, where can I find a good discussion of the advantage and disadvantage of archiving (really) old mail?

Thank you.

pgollon
LIMPET235

Re: Folder Questions

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Re: Folder Questions

Post by DanRaisch »

Everything is stored locally.
Do you mean that it's a POP type account? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
I have an "Old Mail" folder, but it does not fill up with emails as I read them. I would like every email I read to AUTOMATICALLY be moved to the old mail folder unless I Mark as Unread. How do I do this?
If you added that "Old Mail" folder yourself, did you define a Message Filter to move messages from the Inbox to that newly created folder?
Separate from the above, where can I find a good discussion of the advantage and disadvantage of archiving (really) old mail?
See this article -- Archiving your email Realize though that advantages/disadvantages are relative and will be different from one user to another based on the way that they use email and their need to maintain a record of messages over time. Business users could have significantly greater need for message archives than a user dealing only with personal messages, etc. In some cases, a business user might have to maintain 7 to 10 years of message history for legal or tax purposes and perhaps even longer periods to ensure that they can respond promptly to queries from customers or suppliers.