Global search by replyto value

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mandriospo

Global search by replyto value

Post by mandriospo »

Is there any feature or addon which can make global search including reply-to field?
LIMPET235

Re: Global search by replyto value

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

To trap such messages, you must create a custom search criterion that looks for that specific header (in this case the Reply-to header).

If you're not sure of the exact name of the header, select a message that should have this header and press Ctrl-U to view the message source.

When creating or editing the filter, in the first pulldown (the one that has Subject as its default), choose Customize. Enter [whatever_header_your_server_uses] as New message header (don't include the colon) and click Add ,then OK. This will permanently add this header to the criteria that can be used when setting up a search or defining a filter operation.

Note that the above will add to the criteria for doing a search (as opposed to defining a filter), via menu path Edit | Find | Search Messages rather than the quick search dialog.

I have not found a way to add a custom search criterion to the Quick Search options in the menu bar, such that you could search (in your case) for Replied-to and type in whatever specific address you wanted for that search. All I've found a way to do is set up a permanent Quick Search for one or more specific addresses via the Quick Search View: [ ] | Customize menu, which will then save it as a "Custom View".
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
mandriospo

Post by mandriospo »

Thank you @makaiguy, it's always something, anyway I am still looking for automation for it (like button via addon "Custom Buttons") which can search for other e-mails containing same reply-to value.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

When you set up a custom search as above for your specific Reply-to valued, save it via the "Save as Search Folder" button at the bottom of the Edit | Find | Search Messages (or just Ctrl+Shift+F) dialog. It will be shown in your account folder list as a separate "pseudo folder" which will always show you the current search results.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
mandriospo

Post by mandriospo »

I know about search folder and this is not what I am looking for. My reply-to value is changing all the time and I need something quick to search (like button which read reply-to value from selected message in grid and start to search other e-mails which contain same reply-to value). Thank you anyway.