Folder search

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
robbyx

Folder search

Post by robbyx »

Is there a folder search button or box I can use to find all the folders matching a search term?
Robin
tanstaafl

Re: Folder search

Post by tanstaafl »

The search facilities I'm familiar with are designed to search for messages within a predefined set of folders (or globally). Not to search for folders. There is a folder levels add-on that lets you "decide exactly which folders are visible at any time, based on their relative importance to you and what you are currently trying to accomplish."

You could try using a desktop based search tool that relies upon the fact that POP accounts and Local Folders use mbox files to store the messages for each folder. A mbox file is named after the folder, with no file extension. For example, the inbox folder is stored in "inbox.".
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

Thank you for that suggestion.

I am looking at Firefox/ pale moon and it has a search box above the bookmarks/ history. I am surprised that there is not the same for TB folders, but that seems to be the case.
Robin
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

Today I was speaking with the author of the addon QuickFolders. He pointed out that his addon has a folder name search button included. I have tested it and it works well, because it does name string searches across all the folders. It will show folders that include the search term inside the name string so that XXXXjoeXXXX will be found if you search for joe.
Robin
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> Today I was speaking with the author of the addon QuickFolders
Not only a very good addon, but also a very good author who keeps his addons updated in a timely manner