How do I embed my calendar on my web site?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
barryjo

How do I embed my calendar on my web site?

Post by barryjo »

I made this post under the calendar section but did not get any response so I am putting it here in hopes that I get a response.

I am presently using Google Calendar because I can embed it in my web site. Unfortunately, Google Calendar will not scroll weekly and I think this is a feature that really needs to be incorporated. However, Thunderbird with Lightning does have the calendar that works correctly. So How can I embed my Thunderbird/lightning calendar into my web site? I have done some reading about WevDAV servers, ics files but do not understand what to do. I would appreciate a simple, if possible, wayh to embed my calendar into my web site so users of my web site can see the calendar but not change it. An example of what I have now can be seen on my website, thelakewaytutor.com click on the calendar icon.

Thanks
Barry
tanstaafl

Re: How do I embed my calendar on my web site?

Post by tanstaafl »

You can't embed the Lightning calendar on a web site AFAIK, the best you can do is sync the Lightning calendar with Google Calendar either using CalDAV or an add-on. I suspect you need to find some calendar widget (not the one Google provides) that supports Google Calendar and scrolls the way you want it to.
barryjo

Post by barryjo »

Bummer. After a bit of thought, I guess that the only way I can have a calendar that can be accessed from a web page is for the calendar to be located on a server in "the cloud" . Maybe Microsoft calendar under Windows 10 will work as it does some sort of syncing. Otherwise, I guess I am stuck with Google. Oh well .....
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There are other calendar services available in the cloud. See the Funambol and SyncML servers section and the CardDAV section in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_address_books .

I suggest you investigate https://fruux.com/ as it is free, claims to support "any device and the web" and if you scroll down the page to public calendars it talks about "embed it on your website like we did below.". Select "Week" (it defaults to Month in the list box control) and see if the scrolling works the way you want it to.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I have a Google calendar embedded on a website I am the webmaster for. I have it configured to default to display by month, but you can have the default be by week by inserting mode=WEEK& in your embedded calendar code on your page. When viewing by week, you can scroll week by week.

Since the semester is almost over, there's not much there, but you can check my calendar out:
http://aikenlearning.org/Calendar.php
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
barryjo

Post by barryjo »

Tanstaafl, I have submitted a question to fruux about their scrolling. I just downloaded there program. Unfortunately, they do not have scrolling by week. I guess it is only Thunderbird/Lightning that one cannot embed, and Microsoft that gives a link that doesn't work.

Makaiguy, I went to your calendar and I don't see the weekly scrolling I want. I would like to see a months worth of days but would like to scroll so I see the last two weeks of April and the first two weeks of May rather than the entire month of April of May. Thunderbird/Lightning does this, and the Windows 10 calendar does this. Apparently it is hard to embed Thunderbird but maybe Microsoft Win 10 calendar will work.

As I said, Microsoft Win 10 calendar does not work correctly. It figures.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

@barryjo
I think you can have your cake and eat it too.

If I understand correctly, you like Google calendar because you can post it on your website. As an added bonus, it is also available on your phone if you are so inclined. You also like the way Thunderbird/Lightning uses the agenda.

What about using both? The simplest way is to install the following extension: Provider for Google Calendar, which allows you to connect very easily to your agendas at Google.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
barryjo

Post by barryjo »

mgagnonlv, I tried this but got an error from Thunderbird that the add-on could not be verified.

I read there is a way to disable the vrification and I will try this and report back. I hope this solves my problem.

I am using Firefox 46.0.1

Thanks
barryjo

Post by barryjo »

mgagnonly, Stupid me. I should try to install to Thunderbird not Firefox. It seems to work.
Thanks