Since update, the enter button makes a double space

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
miss_kitty

Since update, the enter button makes a double space

Post by miss_kitty »

When I use my enter button on TB since the last update (on a reply, or when I am composing a new email) I get double spacing, which is a extra space than the standard, AKA 'single space.' This happened many updates ago also. I don't know how to fix it, and double spacing is not really my thing.

Does anyone know how to make it single space again?
Windows 10
tanstaafl

Re: Since update, the enter button makes a double space

Post by tanstaafl »

Does this occur with just HTML messages? Your problem might be due to being in paragraph mode rather than body text mode.

FYI Version 45 defaults to creating a new paragraph (in HTML) with return/enter (shift-Enter will insert a line break). tools -> options -> composition -> general lets you disable that feature. "The problem with that checkbox is that it actually ties two related but independent things together:

Creating a new paragraph rather than just a line break with the Enter key (which is what the label says), but only in a "Paragraph" context;
switching the start-up composition from "Body Text" (where Enter still means "line break") to "Paragraph" and thus enforcing that behavior by default"

I found http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 9&t=239283 , http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3001529 and http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3001223
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

It is in paragraph mode. I found that box checked looking for a setting for spacing a few hours ago, and then in some other part, I found another setting that seemed to describe what was going on in my TB 'start a new paragraph when you use the enter button' I think was the message. That box was checked too. So I'll uncheck that box after I find it again. :D

OK. Thanks loads. I unchecked that box, saved the change and it works the way I like.
Windows 10
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Glad I searched and found this thread... thought that I had some how changed something in T.B. ... but find that it was due to the latest update... I wonder how many T.B. users are scratching their heads about these behind the scene changes.

Anyway, thanks to this topic... my issues is fixed.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

dfoulkes wrote:I wonder how many T.B. users are scratching their heads about these behind the scene changes.
Everyone that didn't read the release notes.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

makaiguy wrote:
dfoulkes wrote:I wonder how many T.B. users are scratching their heads about these behind the scene changes.
Everyone that didn't read the release notes.
=D>

Reviewing Options/Preferences after an update is also useful.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yep... I did check prefs looking for something obvious ... not 'assuming' that Mozilla would alter an important setting in 'my' T.B. ... I did not associate the paragraph change to what I was getting...

As for reviewing release notes... as always, release notes post more or less one-liners ... for the most part... are useless to the non-deep-tech user... anyway, it's resolved.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

dfoulkes wrote:Yep... I did check prefs looking for something obvious ... not 'assuming' that Mozilla would alter an important setting in 'my' T.B. ... I did not associate the paragraph change to what I was getting...

As for reviewing release notes... as always, release notes post more or less one-liners ... for the most part... are useless to the non-deep-tech user... anyway, it's resolved.
I agree. I checked preferences too. I'm a basic user. And I'm an old semi-Luddite. I don't have innate computer knowledge built in, because I was in my 30s when everyone started having their own computer. And I might not--probably won't--twig that something being described in a release note equals my problem.
Windows 10
BradfordCaslon

Post by BradfordCaslon »

Thanks very much, @tanstaafl

I don't mind if you OFFER the doublespace, but don't change it to a default after 35+ iterations of your program. Put in your release notes that it is a NEW OFFERING instead.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A) It was in the release notes for version 45.

B) We didn't make the change, Mozilla did. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. As indicated in the right hand column of this page, we're an independent user-helping-user community.