TB 45.0 hangs/locks up on delete with IMAP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ejm_dc

TB 45.0 hangs/locks up on delete with IMAP

Post by ejm_dc »

I'm using a fresh install of Thunderbird with a brand new profile on a new install of Windows 10 connecting to two Google IMAP servers (yes, I had to rebuild everything recently). 90% of the time everything works fine but I get random hangs/lock ups when trying to delete a message or more rarely move a message. The entire app locks up completely. No menus, no buttons, etc. Any additional click brings up the Windows troubleshooting. If I wait it out, it'll usually come back online after 45 seconds to a minute, sometimes shorted sometimes longer. The problem only started with the move to 45, so I doubt it's an IMAP issue.

Forcing restart does not help. I've tried clearing the disk cache. Also didn't help. I tried starting the profile over three or four times. I have 5 addons other than Dom/Element inspector (QuickText, Reply to All as CC, Restart) but I've had things lock up with the addons disabled.

Any suggestions on something to check before reverting to a previous version of TB?
makaiguy

Re: TB 45.0 hangs/locks up on delete with IMAP

Post by makaiguy »

TBird lockups on Win10 have been reported by a number of folks, myself included. Mine started as soon as I updated from Win7 to Win10, and before going to TBird 45. It goes non-responsive for a minute or so, then come back to normal operation.

I've noticed mine seems to occur right after deleting a message (all accounts IMAP), but it only happens occasionally. A recent report indicated it was accompanied by continuous hard disk activity. I just deleted some messages to try to check this out, but of course, this time it didn't go non-responsive.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
ejm_dc

Post by ejm_dc »

Oddly, I've been using Windows 10 for almost a year on two laptops (one Lenovo and one Apple Macbook running Windows 10) and a few months now on two identical desktops, and I've just started experiencing this particular problem since moving to 45.

I have had problems in the past with TB locking up on IMAP, but that was with Windows 7 and seemed to go away with later versions.

Is there a bug report I can add a vote to?
ejm_dc

Post by ejm_dc »

Interestingly it's hanging a lot this morning. FWIW, I checked the performance tab and I don't see any particular spikes in CPU, memory, or disk utilization.
ejm_dc

Post by ejm_dc »

For what it's worth, disabling Windows 10 indexing seems to have helped. Not sure if it's a short-term solution or not, but two days in so far so good.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

ejm_dc wrote:For what it's worth, disabling Windows 10 indexing seems to have helped. Not sure if it's a short-term solution or not, but two days in so far so good.
I'll give this a try. Already have global indexing off.

Tools | Options | Advanced | General
UNcheck: Allow Windows search to search messages
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
ejm_dc

Post by ejm_dc »

I left Global Indexing on and just unchecked "Allow Windows search to search messages" as you noted. I hope it works!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

makaiguy wrote:
ejm_dc wrote:For what it's worth, disabling Windows 10 indexing seems to have helped. Not sure if it's a short-term solution or not, but two days in so far so good.
I'll give this a try. Already have global indexing off.

Tools | Options | Advanced | General
UNcheck: Allow Windows search to search messages
Four days later and no "not responding" instances yet.
Doug Wilson
ejm_dc

Post by ejm_dc »

Same here. That seems to have been the issue for me.