tbird high CPU

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: tbird high CPU

Post by tanstaafl »

tanstaafl wrote:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14609987 is somewhat related.
wsm wrote:If I read the comments correctly, this comparison seems a tenuous stretch - you're talking about different OS, different versions/time frame, different timing in usage. The only commonality is "slowness", which can be caused by more than a dozen items listed at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... e_Problems, plus many other possibilities not listed.
The frequent "program becomes non-responsive" problem I'm running into when composing a message occurs with the same version of Thunderbird. It doesn't get slow, it dies in a way that does not count as a crash. You get the hourglass and if you click on a window you get a popup window from Windows asking whether you want it to close the program or have it search for a solution. If you do nothing it doesn't ever get better.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

tanstaafl wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14609987 is somewhat related.
wsm wrote:If I read the comments correctly, this comparison seems a tenuous stretch - you're talking about different OS, different versions/time frame, different timing in usage. The only commonality is "slowness", which can be caused by more than a dozen items listed at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... e_Problems, plus many other possibilities not listed.
The frequent "program becomes non-responsive" problem I'm running into when composing a message occurs with the same version of Thunderbird. It doesn't get slow, it dies in a way that does not count as a crash. You get the hourglass and if you click on a window you get a popup window from Windows asking whether you want it to close the program or have it search for a solution. If you do nothing it doesn't ever get better.
Point taken. But if your issue also shows as high CPU, then your issue vs Unresponsive script are both performance issues which differes in severity.

You should both look at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... e_Problems
noahwallach

Post by noahwallach »

This situation appears to be solved. I had an imap account folder set to keep a max of 100k messages in a folder. The folder has lots of incoming messages sometimes 0-300 messages every minute. I changed it to age out messages older than 30 days so the aging happens once a day instead of every minute. Does the aging code need to be reviewed based on this fix? Could it also mean the imap jobs cant keep up with the amount of signalling required?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

noahwallach wrote:This situation appears to be solved. I had an imap account folder set to keep a max of 100k messages in a folder. The folder has lots of incoming messages sometimes 0-300 messages every minute. I changed it to age out messages older than 30 days so the aging happens once a day instead of every minute. Does the aging code need to be reviewed based on this fix? Could it also mean the imap jobs cant keep up with the amount of signalling required?
300 messages per minute? Help me understand, WTH is that all about?
And are these messages filtered from Inbox to another folder?
And do you actually reference most of them? If not, you should turn off syncing of the message bodies.

> I changed it to age out message ... once a day
What exactly did you change and where? I'm not aware that you can impact how often the aging is done.

> This condition appears to have started when I upgraded to 45.1.0

Backtracking on this above statement ... if this is really true, to suggests to me that antivirus software may be slowing it up.
noahwallach

Post by noahwallach »

I do not have antivirus software installed.

new config:
Right click folder->Properties->Retention Policy->Delete messages more than 30 days old

old config:
Right click folder->Properties->Retention Policy->Delete all but the recent 100000 messages
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Your change affect *period* of retention.
Your change does not affect *frequency* of retention checking.

300 messages per minute? Help me understand - what is that all about?
Are these messages filtered from Inbox to another folder?
Do you actually reference most of these messages? If not, you should turn off syncing of the message bodies.
noahwallach

Post by noahwallach »

they arrive at a separate folder from the inbox - that is not processed by tbird. 0-300 messages a minute. sometimes nothing comes - sometimes 200-300 messages can come in. If I have 100k as the limit then tbird needs to periodically keep tossing the messages since 300 arrive and it needs to toss another 300. now that it is based on the day it is only once a day that tbird needs to toss the messages.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

The purge service runs every 5 minutes - not once a day or once a minute - regardless of whether you specified 30 days or 100,000 messages.
Did specifying 30 days cause it to keep way fewer messages, and make the folder much smaller?

> they arrive at a separate folder from the inbox
So you have a server side filter running?
And do you actually reference a large number of these messages?
noahwallach

Post by noahwallach »

yes, server side filtering
now I have 38k messages in the folder
I sometimes look through them and sometimes not.