Email password not working

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Amythist59

Email password not working

Post by Amythist59 »

Hi, I have been using thunderbird as my email download for quite a few years now, and I have 7 different email accounts. Now yesterday for no reason my hotmail one asked me for my password - typed it in and then got a message saying
Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop-mail.outlook.com responded: Authentications failure: unknown user name or bad password.[Error=ProxyNotAuthenticated"AuthResult=0 Proxy=SG2PRO3MB1406.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com:1995:SSL].

I went to my hotmail account and my user and password were correct and had no problems - went back and tried again same thing happened.

All my other 6 emails are fine, 1 is gmail, 3 skymesh, 2 antmail.

Can someone please tell me or give me some idea of what has happened and how to correct it
Thank you
tanstaafl

Re: Email password not working

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from Firefox Support to Thunderbird Support as you are asking for help with Thunderbird.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outl ... 8e8?auth=1 describes a similar problem that was traced to the web site (for unknown reasons) disabling POP support. I suggest you use a browser to log into Outlook webmail and verify that POP support is still enabled in the webmail settings.
Amythist59

Post by Amythist59 »

Thank you Tanstaafl sorry I often get the two mixed up - I am a dedicated user of both firefox and thunderbird for over 9 years. & thank you for the reply, will check that out - I am not a very good tech type user and may have to get one of the grand kids out here to check on that. will let you know how I get on
morte111

Post by morte111 »

Thank you! POP was disabled for my Outlook web account, re-enabling it fixed the issue completely
It looks like this issue is affecting a LOT of users with outlook external email clients and no-one else but mozillazine forums had a useful answer
- the POP server name also changed from pop3.live.com to pop-mail.outlook.com, but both work (for now).
Amythist59

Post by Amythist59 »

Morte111 - where do I find that to check and change it if necessary?