Missing folders TB 38.8 (ubuntu 14.04)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
robbyx

Missing folders TB 38.8 (ubuntu 14.04)

Post by robbyx »

Looking in my profile under /mail/local folders/ I have 02groups and constant messages.sbd. This is folder which has a lot of subfolders. When I load TB 38.8 and look at the folder pane that subfolder is not showing. Is there a way to make it re-appear with all its subfoldlers?
Robin
tanstaafl

Re: Missing folders TB 38.8 (ubuntu 14.04)

Post by tanstaafl »

Check the file permissions for the parent and child folder *.msf files. They should not be marked read-only. Only the *.sbd directories should be.
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

I do not think that is the problem because they are not RO. in the meantime I deleted the smart folder as per your instructions at
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird

Deleting the smart folder has not brought back the missing folders.
Robin
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

I have tried renaming the missing folder and starting in safe mode. No joy.
Robin
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

robbyx wrote:I do not think that is the problem because they are not RO. in the meantime I deleted the smart folder as per your instructions at
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
Huh? I didn't suggest you follow any of the instructions in that article. It has a section on how to delete smart folders only in case "If you ever selected Unified Folders (originally called Smart Folders) in 3.x you may have a pseudo Unified Folders (or Smart Folders) account listed in the folder pane." is true.

One kludgy solution might be to import the folders underneath a different parent folder in Local Folders using the ImportExportTools add-on. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders . If that works then you could either delete the originals or try to compare the two sets of folders to figure out what caused the problem.
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

Thank you for your help. I accidentally found a much easier approach:

I created a folder with the same name as the sbd folder that was not appearing in the folderpane. I then saw that all the subdirectories inside the sbd file were shown in the folderpane with their postings. No need to import the folders as they appeared automatically.
Robin
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

What is the easiest way to move the folder with its subfolders? Drag and drop does not work on the folder.
Robin
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try running in safe mode (help -> restart Thunderbird with add-ons disabled) in case an add-on is causing your problem.