Thunderbird multiply by dozens the same junk email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jng

Thunderbird multiply by dozens the same junk email

Post by jng »

My Thunderbird, after a series of problems, seemed to be working right.
Starting four days ago, each email that is automatically moved to junk becomes 90 or more identical e-mails with the same day and time. Nothing seems to happen to those e-mails that come in and stay in the inbox folder, only to those that were automatically moved to the junk folder.
However, I've just noticed that a message that I sent from the inbox to the junk folder just disappeared, it never went to junk.
Meanwhile all or other junk emails keep being multiplied right now in my junk folder.
The webmail (gmail) is okay. Those same messages are there but singles.
Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird multiply by dozens the same junk email

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try replacing the junk folder, it might be corrupt.
jng

Post by jng »

I killed all junk files in local files and default directory. It got better, but all messages that went to the junk started to slowly multiply first by two, then by three, etc. By the way it is Pop.
So I copied all thunderbird files from my notebook to the desktop, forgot the notebook and started to work only with the desktop.
The problem is fixed. It has not happened again. I like to understand what is happening and why the fix worked; that is starting to be difficult with Thunderbird. Maybe the whole confusion is happening because I have the Thunderbird files in another partition instead of AppData. But I have always worked this way without any problem (by changing profiles.ini)
I used to love Thunderbird.........
Thanks guys.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Where your profile is stored should have no effect on this. However, its not clear what caused your problem.