Is docking the compose window possible?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
NivaR

Is docking the compose window possible?

Post by NivaR »

Is it possible to set up Thunderbird to have a docked message composition pane, similar to the docked message display pane? I didn't find anything obvious in the Preferences, Extension gallery, or in the forum archives but I may not have searched on the right terms.

I am running Thunderbird 45.2.0 on a Mac OS X El Capitan.
DanRaisch

Re: Is docking the compose window possible?

Post by DanRaisch »

No, at this time composition is always in a window and there is no screen layout to include the composition area along with the folder pane, message list and/or message pane.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm not aware of a way to do that.

The Thunderbird Conversations add-on implements a quick reply that is similar to what you want. However, it doesn't have a corresponding feature for creating new messages. There was also an abandoned effort to create new messages using a different editor in a tab - the Compose for Thunderbird add-on. They chose a widget that was too hard to integrate. There was talk of another try (using a different widget) as a google summer of code project but that doesn't seem to have occurred yet. Instead there appears to be a "Event in a Tab" project for Lightning.

There is an external editor add-on. It lets you launch an external editor such as Notepad++, Vi etc. . AFAIK it still works though you have to workaround the version check by installing the disaable add-on compatibility check add-on beforehand and ignore the warnings.
NivaR

Post by NivaR »

I understand. It is not a must-have, just asking in case it was hidden somewhere. Thank you for the quick responses.