HELP! Thunderbird versus Yahoo

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
allen-uk

HELP! Thunderbird versus Yahoo

Post by allen-uk »

This is driving me crazy.

I wanted to quit Virgin Media/Apple Mac Mail, so set up new mail provider email addresses at Yahoo.

Then I downloaded Thunderbird, which looked great.

Except that when I come to configure my yahoo addresses in Thunderbird, it won't let me do it!

Yahoo insists that Thunderbird isn't secure. So I turn off my 'secure' setting on my Yahoo options, and try again.

Now Thunderbird tells me that I haven't got a yahoo address! (Which I have).

I gave up drinking 14 years ago; I am almost (almost) reaching for the bottle again.

PLEASE help me. What is the solution?

Allen.
DanRaisch

Re: HELP! Thunderbird versus Yahoo

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as no bug has been identified here.

* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which one(s)?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choices for "Connection security" and "Authentication method" under Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

When Thunderbird is "telling" you something, it is very helpful when requesting assistance to provide us with the full and complete error message so we can see exactly what it says.

Yahoo has recently swallowed Google's OAuth2 "koolaid" and has gone to this protocol for email authentication. It is really no more secure* than more traditional methods, but does provide them some internal benefits in that it allows you to use your Yahoo account to log into other sites like Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, etc.

Current Thunderbird versions DO support OAuth2 via the "Authenticaton method" item under Server Settings.

You can also tell Yahoo to accept traditional authentication methods by logging into your account using a web browser and going to your Security settings. Enable "Allow apps that use less secure sign in".

* In fact, it may well be LESS secure. Per Wikipedia:
OAuth 2.0 does not support signature, encryption, channel binding, or client verification. It relies completely on TLS for some degree of confidentiality and server authentication.

OAuth 2.0 has had numerous security flaws exposed in implementations. The protocol itself has been described as inherently insecure by security experts and a primary contributor to the specification stated that implementation mistakes are almost inevitable.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
tsor

Post by tsor »

You may cover the basics with this article from the knowledge base [far to the right on your screen, second under search]:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Yahoo

No need to go insane. Yahoo can be a challenge. Even for experienced users.
allen-uk

Post by allen-uk »

Thanks all, sorry for the delay in saying so.

Tsor's link looks very useful, as it mentions the very fault I am talking about. I'll work through that, and if it doesn't work, come back and answer the points DanRaisch and makaiguy raise.

Allen.