thunderbird timing out

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
firestorm31

thunderbird timing out

Post by firestorm31 »

thunderbird is timing out rather frequently with "not responding" msg and cannot do anything with it.

I wonder if this is related to RAM issues.

using thunderbird 45.4.0
Dilbert Firestorm
DanRaisch

Re: thunderbird timing out

Post by DanRaisch »

* Is TB timing out when receiving, when sending, or at other times?
* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which one(s)?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.

* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
jack63ss

Post by jack63ss »

I just updated to Windows 10 (not my idea) and ever since Thunderbird seems to hang for a period of time and shows as (Not Responding), then unfreezes and continues. I believe what is happening is that when it tries to download messages it gets into an internal loop, or unprotected timeout, and Windows sees the app as hung based on some criteria. The hang will occur immediately on startup if there are new messages to be downloaded and I am guessing the other times I have seen it, like while I was trying to compose a message, that it might have been trying to download news messages as well.

* Is TB timing out when receiving, when sending, or at other times?
I believe it is during receiving/download
* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
(Not Responding) in the title bar
* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
IMAP
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
Corporate from an Exchange host
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which one(s)?
Woindows Defender
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
No, but I will if it well help
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
Updated to Windows 10

Note: After reading DanRaisch's response it is possible my issue in non-compacted folders. I have been using Thunderbird at work for 10+ years, have 1000s of email messages (4200+ in my Inbox, of which 1100+ are unread, 8500+ in a folder that is just Unread email), and with untold others, and I NEVER compress my folders. I have in the past complained about the fact that sometimes it takes forever to get email when I start up, so maybe my problem has been compression all along. So I am going to compress the folders and see if it helps. I will post a reply one way or the other.
jack63ss

Post by jack63ss »

Sorry, but looks to me like there is some type of performance issue with Thunderbird, and Windows 10 must make it worse. The sequence of events, after compressing the folders and restarting TB, is this
1 - tried to move 888 messages to a folder using Archive and after (Not Responding) for >2 minutes I killed TB and restarted it
2 - checked and saw ~350 messages had been move
3 - moved the remaining messages to a 2nd folder by just select/drap/drop and it took about 45 seconds
4 - moved 515 message into a 3rd folder using select/copy/drop and it took about a minute
5 - tried to move the original 350 messages to the 2nd folder using select/drag/drop and it took almost 2 minutes

I actually do not care how long the operation took, but during each of times these TB was Not Responding. I have encountered slowness under Win7 on my previous laptop and also under Win7 on this laptop, but not to the extent I see it under Win10.

This is a Lenovo W541, so it is pretty buff, and no other apps are running. So why 1) sometimes so slow or other times not, and 2) can we not mutlithread the background tasks ?

Thanks
Jack
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Long startup and "Unresponsive Script" with many pop accounts with version 24 bug report is a regression bug that has not been closed. I'm seeing it occasionally when sending messages using TB 45.4.0 and once in a great while when doing nothing (though its possible its triggered by the periodic check for new mail)

jack63ss:
I suspect not responding when moving lots of messages is a different problem.
firestorm31

Post by firestorm31 »

a follow up of the october query.

the problem appears to be with the motherboard. It was I think the motherboard. it got toasted by the cpu. its ventilation got clogged up. my laptop died in late november.

the behavior was an on/off thing. some days it ran ok. other days, it took forever to cycle thru.
Dilbert Firestorm
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for posting that update.

Now locking this due to the age of the original posts and the OPs report of original cause.