Viewing messages on server ( Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
MrSquirrel

Viewing messages on server ( Mac)

Post by MrSquirrel »

Is there a way of seeing what massages are on the server, and then deleting them? I am aware of the setting to automatically delete a message when it's downloaded, but I want to see what's on the server at the time.

MacMail has this tool available by right clicking on the inbox, then selecting "Get Info", then up comes a window showing messages on the server, from where they can be deleted.
Last edited by DanRaisch on October 20th, 2016, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added (Mac) to subject line.
DanRaisch

Re: Viewing messages on server ( Mac)

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
MrSquirrel

Post by MrSquirrel »

It's a POP account.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm not aware of a way to do that using the built-in features with a POP account unless you want to check "fetch headers only" in the accounts server settings. That will update the folder listing and only download headers for new messages. The message body is replaced by a link that you have to click on to download the real message body. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_only ... P_messages for how to get fancier and automatically download only messages that meet certain criteria, with any remaining messages only downloading the headers.

There are utilities to check for new mail or get rid of spam that will let you delete a message before its downloaded by the email client. However, I think they only deal with new mail. Does Macmail let you delete old mail sitting in the inbox on the mail server (such as the original of a message that had already been downloaded and read) ?