Emailing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Oahuyahoo

Emailing

Post by Oahuyahoo »

When I send and email it sends with all my email accounts and even puts a copy in the sent item folder of each how do I turn this feature off as it is driving my recipients nuts?
LIMPET235

Re: Emailing

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you mean that if you have 'N' accounts that when you send one message you have 'N' copies of it, one in each accounts Sent folder? I don't understand how that would happen unless you configured each account to literally use the same Sent folder or the files on your hard disk were cross-linked. I assume you're not talking about 'N' POP accounts each configured to use a global inbox (i.e. which hides the accounts folders and use the folders in "Local Folders").

Your recipients shouldn't be able to tell that you automatically saved a copy of the message you sent them, so I don't understand why it would aggravate them. However, you can disable that feature by unchecking tools -> account settings -> account_name -> copies & folders -> place a copy in. That's normally already unchecked for Gmail IMAP accounts because the Gmail SMTP server automatically saves a copy for you regardless of whether you want it or not (so checking it would create a duplicate copy).

Please try to explain your problem again, in more detail. I'm confused. It would help to know if you are using POP or IMAP accounts, and have you always had this problem.
Oahuyahoo

Post by Oahuyahoo »

When I send an email with one email address it sends the same email with all of my email addresses (accounts). Then very handily puts a copy in each account sent box.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I have never heard of a problem like that before. As an experiment use "File -> Send Later" rather than the Send button and see if it queues multiple messages in the Outbox in Local Folders.

How many accounts do you have?
Are any of them POP accounts configured to use a global inbox (use "Local Folders" instead of the accounts folders)?

I suggest you also try running in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to rule out it being a side effect of some add-on. Thunderbird's safe mode shouldn't be confused with Windows safe mode, they are very different things.
Oahuyahoo

Post by Oahuyahoo »

I have two accounts one is a pop and the other is imap.
Oahuyahoo

Post by Oahuyahoo »

I just sent an email and got a call from the receiver who is by all measure having a very bad day. He reamed me a new ***hole because he received my email under two accounts *******@hawaiiantel.net and *******@Hotmail.com. I can't do this anymore if you folks can't help then I'll have to delete and account.
Thanks to the person who can help me.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Please post the contents of the mail and news section from help -> troubleshooting information.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Regarding the account from which you sent this recent message about which the recipient was complaining, unreasonably, I would think:

If you send yourself a message using that same account, do you receive two copies of the message, showing it as coming from both your accounts?
Did you try Mozilla Safe Mode as suggested above by tanstaafl?
Oahuyahoo

Post by Oahuyahoo »

When I send to myself I make sure I click on the main account then click write a new message. I'll just put a bunch of letters i.e. ssssssssssssssssss then send. I get a mail in the main mail folder, for some strange reason no mail in the other account but it puts a copy in both sent items folders. But I know my recipients are getting a copy from the Hotmail account when I sent it from the hawaiiantel.account. The Hotmail account is not for business and this is causing me untold grief.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its very difficult to help you with the limited information you've provided. I'll repeat my requests to please:

(1) As an experiment use "File -> Send Later" rather than the Send button and see if it queues multiple messages in the Outbox in Local Folders (rather than a single message). If it queues multiple messages you can delete the one sent from the wrong address before using File -> Send Unsent Messages.

(2) Try running in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to see if we can rule out it being a side effect of some add-on.

(3) Post the contents of the mail and news section from help -> troubleshooting information so that we can try to figure out if you're doing something such as using the same SMTP server for both accounts. You can press "copy text to clipboard", paste that into Notepad, and then copy and paste just the section I asked for into a post in this thread. You have complete control over what information you're sharing.

These requests are something that should be quick and easy to do, shouldn't damage anything, or leak any secrets (since the copy & paste info I requested doesn't include passwords, email addresses or account names).

Your problem might be caused by something as simple as you somehow configured the hawaiiantel account to use the Hotmail SMTP server without registering the hawaiiantel email address with the Hotmail SMTP server. The Outlook SMTP server has been known to replace the display name in the From: address with the name you registered with your Microsoft account. The information I asked for will help winnow down the possibilities.
Oahuyahoo

Post by Oahuyahoo »

I wrote an email to myself and clicked on send later. It put a copy in the outbox in the "local folders". So what is that telling me?
Oahuyahoo

Post by Oahuyahoo »

Ok this I also what I did: I right clicked on "local Folders" and went to settings. I then went to "outgoing server" backspaced out the Hotmail server and put in the hawaiiantel server lets see if this fixes things.
Oahuyahoo

Post by Oahuyahoo »

I believe the above has fixed my problem.