MozillaZine

Possible sort threads by "newest message first" (on top)?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cadudesun

Post Posted November 7th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to set in Thunderbird threads by "newest message first"?

As a reference, Postbox has an option to sort conversations/threads by "newest message first", as showed in this snapshot: http://i.imgur.com/wC13xR2.png

By default, Thunderbird sort threads by "oldest message first". It is being confusing to deal with lengthy threads, since the newest message is the last one in the thread. The snapshot shows it: http://i.imgur.com/bWr7mAy.png

Other confused point in Thunderbird is when the thread is collapsed: even I received the newest message today, the top/collapsed thread will show the oldest message date. If the oldest message is from e.g. 05/06/2015, Thunderbird shows a just received message in INBOX with that old date.

Thanks!

Carlos

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 7th, 2016, 9:00 pm

That "Conversations" tab doesn't exist in the options of a standard Thunderbird installation. What extension are you using to get that added functionality?

cadudesun

Post Posted November 8th, 2016, 5:27 am

DanRaisch wrote:That "Conversations" tab doesn't exist in the options of a standard Thunderbird installation. What extension are you using to get that added functionality?

Actually, that "Conversations" tab screen is from Postbox itself. I added that to illustrate what I miss in Thunderbird default installation.

I couldn't find any Thunderbird setting tweak or an extension/addon that can sort threads by "newest message first" (on top). Actually, I found the extension "Thunderbird Conversations", but it just affects the message panel. My need is for better sort of the list panel (middle panel), in which the messages list and threads appears.

Is there any workaround in Thunderbird to sort threads by "newest message first"?

Thanks,
Carlos

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 8th, 2016, 5:30 am

Have you tried just clicking on the word "Date" on the header row of the message list pane to reverse the sorting on that element? Sorting so the newest messages are first and then using menu path View->Sort by->Threaded my get you want you want or close to it.

cadudesun

Post Posted November 8th, 2016, 7:05 am

DanRaisch wrote:Have you tried just clicking on the word "Date" on the header row of the message list pane to reverse the sorting on that element? Sorting so the newest messages are first and then using menu path View->Sort by->Threaded my get you want you want or close to it.

Thanks for reply!

As suggested, reversing "Date" sorting will put the thread in the way I need, but the problem is that it affects ALL emails. This way, it would be necessary to read emails from bottom-up, what is quite strange. In other words, reversing "Date" sorting solve one problem (thread "newest message first"), but causes a bigger problem (ALL newest emails appears in the bottom, and the oldest emails in the top).

The Postbox option to sort conversations/threads by "newest message first", solve the threads sort problem and doesn't interfere with the sort of ALL emails. The ideal solution that in trying to find out if Thunderbird could do the same.

Any other workaround?

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 8th, 2016, 10:05 am

causes a bigger problem (ALL newest emails appears in the bottom, and the oldest emails in the top).

I guess that's a personal preference or habit of use issue as I don't see that as a problem at all.

You could look at this extension -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... tion-view/

Return to Thunderbird Support