Outgoing server does not support . . .

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Outgoing server does not support . . .

Post by DanRaisch »

Different server!
And who is the provider for that account?
momshoaf

Post by momshoaf »

I found this forum in search for the solution for the problem (mostly sending) emails using TB and a cox.net account...

FORTUNATELY, TB ON MY COMPUTER HAS BEEN WORKING FINE (though It had problems in early Dec 2016) but my husband's HAD NOT BEEN ABLE TO SEND OUT emails since Christmas.

So I carefully looked at my email settings (I have 4 cox.net email accounts) to my husband's (3). The main problem is revealed in the error message where it says:
"The Outgoing Server (SMTP) smtp.cox.net does not seem to support encrypted passwords....try changing 'authentication method' in account setting | Outgoing server (SMTP) to 'normal' password."

I believe they are wrongly advising to change password settings (continue reading to understand).

THE PROBLEM that I found is that my husband's SERVER NAME WAS DIFFERENT THAN MINE (go to options/account settings and check each address's "server settings"). His WAS "pop.cox.net" so I changed it to MATCH MINE; pop.west.cox.net
JUST MAKE SURE THE "WEST" IS APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR AREA. I live in Southern California so I'm not sure if WEST means for the west coast. You might need to call your local Cox office to find out what your correct server name is.

While this was indeed the solution, FOR SOME stinkin reason, I spent about 2 hours trying to figure out why passwords (the passwords themselves, not password security settings) now didn't work for 2 of hubby's 3 accounts....eventually I went to cox.com, to my main account and reset the passwords...all that didn't go smoothly but eventually by restarting the computer and closing/reopening TB, reentering the NEW password, etc. I was FINALLY able to send an email from each of his 3 accounts to one of mine then I sent one to each of his 3 SUCCESSFULLY!!!!

Lastly, I noticed that in the server settings for my email addresses, the "connection security" was set to NONE and "authentication method" set to "password sent insecurely." I set my husband's to SSL/TLS and normal password, IOW, both settings seem to work even though that error message advises to change these settings as the solution (NOT!).

And make sure to scroll to the bottom (on that list to the left) to where it says "Outgoing Server (SMTP) and check those settings...I changed his to match what the server settings are so that might be part of the solution...I added an email account that wasn't there but I'm not sure I needed to since on my computer I only have ONE of my FOUR addresses listed there???

HOPEFULLY YOU ALL CAN HAVE AN EASIER TIME FIXING YOUR SETTINGS, I THINK THE MAIN THING WRONG IS that the "Outgoing Server (SMTP):" "smtp.cox.net" is WRONG.

Good luck and GOOD NIGHT, it's now after 4 AM!!!!
digitalPain

Post by digitalPain »

A Possible Solution:

1. Go to your Account-Settings and scroll down to Outgoing Server (SMTP)
2. Select the not working outgoing server and click the "Edit" button
3. Change the "Authentication method" to "normal password" (usually it is set to encrypted)

In my case this method worked and I was able to send email again.

Kind regards
drtom_3373

Post by drtom_3373 »

Using Thunderbird 52.2.1 (32-bit); Windows 10 Ver1607 Build14393.1480; Browser Firefox 54.0.1 (32-bit); ISP Cox

As many of the previous posters - I cannot send emails via my Thunderbird client thru Cox .... get message about invalid password, etc... then message about can't connect to smtp.cox.net. I can receive emails...

Can send emails via CoxMail, via Android tablet, via iPhone... This has been intermittent over the last 3 months... but WORSE over the last two weeks.. Have spent more than 8 hrs phone and 2 1/2 hr contact... to try and solve this. NO SOLUTION... Cox has basically thrown up their hands and said ".. just use Cox Mail..." Server setting and ports, etc have been confirmed by Cox tier II to be correct... My personal, volunteer and business is suffering.... Any help/ideas in how to resolve this problem will be much appreciated.