Aaaargh - I keep losing saved messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Gwaihir

Aaaargh - I keep losing saved messages

Post by Gwaihir »

I must own up and admit this is principally due to senility :oops:

What happens is that I open a message that has been saved in a Read Messages folder then start to reply to it or forward it but forget to click on the appropriate button. Then I start editing before sending and press delete to get rid of some text. Because this is the original message, not a copy produced by 'Reply' or 'Forward', pressing the delete key instantly and permanently deletes it from the folder.

Having got wise to this I now make sure I regularly back up my mail folders using a file synchronising application but it would be nice - and I don't understand why this isn't provided as a matter of course - if Thunderbird would simply ask for confirmation before trashing the message.
Best regards,

Gwaihir.
DanRaisch

Re: Aaaargh - I keep losing saved messages

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Mike, what I don't understand is how you could be editing text in a received message...without clicking on Reply or Forward. That doesn't work here. How are you opening that read message and is the "Read Messages" folder you refer to a user created folder?
Gwaihir

Post by Gwaihir »

Hi Dan,

Sorry I didn't make clearer exactly what I'm doing. This is the exact sequence:-

I open the message, forgetting to click 'Reply' or 'Forward', then left-click and hold to select a block of text then press the keyboard 'Delete' key. The message immediately gets deleted, without warning, from the folder. It is permanantly deleted so does not get moved to the 'Deleted' folder ('Trash' to you :) ).

I hope that's clearer.

The Read Messages is a user-created folder in which there are also user-created sub-folders. This obviously happens in any of this group.
Best regards,

Gwaihir.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Have done this more times than I can count. But when the message disappears right before my eyes, a quick Ctrl-Z brings it back.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Gwaihir

Post by Gwaihir »

Thanks Doug, I'll try to remember to try that next time.
Best regards,

Gwaihir.