Saving Year by Year in Imap ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rodhudson

Re: Saving Year by Year in Imap ?

Post by rodhudson »

T-BIRD FOLDERS LEFT PANEL_zpssqy1nf0h.png.html
This is a screenshot I took and uploaded to Photobucket - but not sure this is the code that will let you see it !
I couldn't see anything like 'Forum Thumbnail' !
If this is no good let me know and I will try again !
Or I could email it to you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No image here. You need to post the image on a hosting web site and then include a link to that image here per the link I posted above.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

OK. I have posted the pic on one of my own web-sites. Here is the link. You'll need to scroll down as it is now the bottom pic of 5.

http://www.rodney-hudson.com/gpage.html
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Odd. It almost looks like a set of folders was dragged into that account from some other account.

Right click on the name of the dimmed Inbox folder and select "Properties" from the context menu. What is listed in the field "Location" on the "General Information" tab.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

It says:- IMAP://rod%40southerntelecomms.com@mail.southerntelecomms.com/INBOX/INBOX

It's the same for all accounts, except the Acc name replaces 'southerntelecomms.com'.
There is nothing in any of the folders ! The sub folders are JUNK and TRASH
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Additionally, I have found an ADD-ON called COPY FOLDERS, which I have downloaded and installed.
I received a 'pop-up' telling me that it would be loaded when I re-started T-BIRD.

Which I did, but can find nothing !

Where would I expect to find this add-on, in order to give it a try ? It's supposed to copy all folders [or whatever is selected ] hierarchically, so could be what I need to do per year.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What are you looking for? From the screenshots on the home page for that extension you won't see anything until you select a folder and start a copy procedure. Only then does a dialogue related to the extension appear. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunde ... py-folder/
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Yes - I did eventually do that, but it doesn't do what it says it does anyway !
Not to worry. I've decided to make my own 'YEAR' folder in Local Folders, and copy all the Account Main folders and Sub-Folders one by one into it.
It's fiddly, but it does work, and I can do it year by year, and from there I can back up those 'Local Folders' from the Profile/mail to wherever I want, and as much as I want.

Not sure yet whether to stay with IMAP, or return to POP3. I know IMAP handles all devices, but I only really use two - my main Desktop, and a Laptop. So not too big a problem either way.

You didn't mention the extra 'INBOXES', so I gather it's not important ? They are empty !
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm not sure what those extra folders might be but see if it could be something like the issue with Gmail referenced in this article -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1101503
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Hi. Thanks for the link, which was interesting. I'm not sure it's the same thing, but it's no big deal, as nothing ever goes into those extra 'INBOX' folders, or sub-folders of JUNK and TRASH ! One additional set of those three on each Account !

I would like to get rid of them though, but they seem 'undeletable' !

Regarding my own need to 'Archive', I am duplicating all my accounts, and main folders and sub-folders in LOCAL FOLDERS, under the past year, and then using the 'Move TO' to get all the messages out of IMAP and into them.
I will then do the same for each year from now on. Which should free up the space [ and time taken] for IMAP to process my current stuff.
This is all really just 'IMAPISATIONING' the old system I worked out for my POP3 accounts !

Not sure which to use really. We'll see. I think I do prefer to have more control over my own stuff than IMAP gives me. But if moving things into LOCAL FOLDERS achieves the same thing, then that's OK.

I'd like to find a way of copying all the main Folders and Sub-folders, and Sub-Sub Folders into LOCAL FOLDERS Accounts under a particular YEAR, even if not the content. But it's not too long a job even if not, - and only once a year !
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

It has occurred to me that if IMAP Folders and files are moved into the LOCAL FOLDERS, and that means they are kept on the PC, and not on the server, wouldn’t the same apply if the original Accounts were all created in, or moved to LOCAL FOLDERS ?
Thereby making it virtually the same as the POP3 method ?

Either way, it is plain to me that the ‘system’ as a whole cannot deal effectively with the ever-growing mass of marketing emails, and whether this is down to the Server, or to T-Bird, or any other link, I have no idea.

I am toying with the idea that if an incoming email isn’t in my address book, it goes straight to trash, and that’s it. I know I will miss a few worthwhile ones, but not too many, and it may solve all my problems !
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It is not possible to create folders for an IMAP account under Local Folders.

You can use Thunderbird's built in Junk Mail Controls and mark some of those marketing emails as Junk. The program will learn to recognize such messages and automatically move them to the Junk folder or to Trash, as you choose in settings.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Just a final word on this thread, from me anyway !
And thanks to anyone who’s given advice. Especially Dan.

I’ve decided that my particular needs are best serviced by using POP3, rather than IMAP.

I know IMAP has many qualities, but most of them are ones I don’t need !
Of course I have Iphones etc, but use them just for calls and texting. Never for emails. Far too small and fiddly for me ! I use a main Desktop, and a small Laptop for when I need to be away, and that suits me fine, and I can handle those with POP3, and keep all my Files and Folders on my own Hard Drives, well backed up of course.

The one change I am making is that I am loading a fresh copy of T-Bird each year, saving the old one. Also, anyone who isn’t in my Address Book gets instantly trashed. I know I will miss the occasional good or useful one, but I’ll accept that.
If anyone needs to contact me, they can phone and I’ll add them to my Addresses.

It may seem extreme, but I’m getting nearly 500 unsolicited Emails a day now, which is ridiculous, and something had to be done. And this is it !

Until the next big problem !!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not sure why you feel it necessary to load a fresh copy of TB each year, unless you aren't referring to the program itself but to your profile. Using the program doesn't change the program, no matter how long it's in use. All changes made by the user impact the profile and not the program.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

You are right - again ! I am not referring to the Program itself, but to an 'empty' [of messages] copy of my profile, complete with all Addresses, Accounts, Folders, Subfolders, Anti Spam stuff, Junk Definitions and Training data etc.

In fact I keep an 'empty one' and then copy that into a newly created profile each year.

It works well with POP, but obviously not with IMAP.