Thunderbird very slow after F-Secure upgrade

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
douwevt

Thunderbird very slow after F-Secure upgrade

Post by douwevt »

Hi there, did anybody notice the big slowdown after upgrading F-Secure on a Mac with MacOS Sierra? I've upgraded F-secure to version 16.4 Build 15923) and suddenly I takes a lot of time to do anything, opening a mail, scrolling in the inbox, deleting a mail, etc. At first nothing happens, than I get the nicely coloured ball turning around and around, and then finally, the order gets executed. It is really unworkable. Did anyone by any chance found a setting in Thunderbird settings, F-Secure settings or OS settings that can help here? Thanks.

Regards,
Douwe
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird very slow after F-Secure upgrade

Post by DanRaisch »

The issue is not with Thunderbird but with F-Secure. This sort of thing often happens when an anti-virus or firewall program does not properly "register" the installation of software updates or the like. Try closing Thunderbird, reviewing the F-Secure settings and removing any and all references to Thunderbird found in those settings. Reboot the system and then launch Thunderbird to see if the problem is resolved.
douwevt

Re: Thunderbird very slow after F-Secure upgrade

Post by douwevt »

Hi Dan, thanks for your answer, and yes, indeed it must be something with the F-Secure program as when I shut it down, all works well, unfortunately, there is very little settings I can change, nothing on thunderbird or any other app. In the preferences pane there are in total 4 settings and that's it. There are 2 tabs: Virus Protection and Browsing Protection, On Virus protection we have: Real time scanning removes harmful files from your computer by moving them to trash, Turn on yes or no. Well, obviously if you turn that off the virus protection doesn't work and secondly there is a setting called "Files and apps can be blocked based on their internet reputation". And guess what, when I uncheck that one, all works well. So here goes for the Thunderbird reputation.....