Thunderbird using old password AT&T/Yahoo and Gaining Access

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Pegasus70

Thunderbird using old password AT&T/Yahoo and Gaining Access

Post by Pegasus70 »

Due to Yahoo/AT&T's little hacker problem and the bombarding of emails from them to change my passwords for my bellsouth email accounts, I have changed my bellsouth email account passwords. However, the new passwords only work when I login through the online email web page. I changed the passwords for the accounts in Thunderbird to the new passwords, but they were not recognized. I changed the passwords in Thunderbird back to the old passwords and Thunderbird was able to access the accounts. I have been through the process to change the email passwords online both through the Yahoo email page and through the AT&T site. Still end up having two passwords for each email account, the old ones and the new ones. What gives and is there anything I can do to change it so Thunderbird recognizes the new passwords...?
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird using old password AT&T/Yahoo and Gaining Ac

Post by DanRaisch »

How are you changing the passwords in Thunderbird? You should be going to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
Pegasus70

Re: Thunderbird using old password AT&T/Yahoo and Gaining Ac

Post by Pegasus70 »

Thank you for the reply. I had already done that. The problem lies with AT&T/Yahoo's syncing of the account/password. I could sign in on the web at the AT&T/Yahoo email login page only with the new password, but with a 3rd party mail client, Thunderbird, Microsoft Mail, Outlook (all of these were tried), the only password recognized was the old password. I ended up spending almost 3 hours in Chat with an AT&T chat agent who was very knowledgeable in this area and didn't read from a script. It seemed like the only way to keep a hacker from accessing my emails would be to delete the email addresses. However, we tried one more thing which would be to sync yet another password to each email address. And that worked! 1) Changed password 1st time~ Web=New & Mail Client=Old 2) Chat agent synced email accounts individually two and three times 3) Changed password 2nd time~ Web=Newest Password & Mail Client=received with new password, but would only send with original old password 4) Chat agent synced email accounts individually one more time 5) Success! Both the Web & Mail Clients used 2nd New Password and didn't recognized original old password nor the old New password. AT&T/Yahoo really need to come up with something that would solve this problem without all these steps! The Chat agent said he would escalate this problem to the higher powers... :)