Thunderbird unbelievably slow in Windows 10 64bit

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
shaggydog

Thunderbird unbelievably slow in Windows 10 64bit

Post by shaggydog »

Why is Thunderbird so unbelievably slow in Windows 10? Especially when using drag/drop to move an email to a folder, and when deleting more than one email. I get a message that the program is not responding, and after a while it's back to functioning. It's so slow I have to do something else for a few minutes while Thunderbird does it's thing. Not very happy!
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird unbelievably slow in Windows 10 64bit

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Thunderbird is not slow under Win 10 on either my desktop or laptop systems.
What security software are you running on that system?
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
shaggydog

Post by shaggydog »

I went into Safe Mode, then attempted to delete 32 spam emails. As soon as I picked Delete, I got the "not responding" note and it took over a minute for the program to delete those emails. Any way you look at it, for a high-speed laptop, that's slow! I have no problem whatever with any other program. I'm using Avast.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Long startup and "Unresponsive Script" with many pop accounts with version 24 is a regression bug that resurfaced with versions 38 and 40, that only effected some people. I mainly saw it when composing messages, but in some versions it occurred at any time. Fortunately, it seems to have gone away with version 45.6 on my PC. It was extremely annoying.

What version of Thunderbird are you using?
shaggydog

Post by shaggydog »

To DanRaisch: Account Settings is under Options, not Tools. The server is imap.gmail.com.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suspect the confusion is that you are relying upon the hamburger button in the upper right corner (looks like three stacked horizontal lines) and didn't enable the menu bar. Press the ALT key and it will temporarily enable it. Then permanently enable the menu bar, mail toolbar etc in view -> toolbars unless you are really short of screen space.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

shaggydog wrote:I went into Safe Mode, then attempted to delete 32 spam emails. As soon as I picked Delete, I got the "not responding" note and it took over a minute for the program to delete those emails. Any way you look at it, for a high-speed laptop, that's slow! I have no problem whatever with any other program. I'm using Avast.
Start *Windows'* in safe mode with networking enabled
- win10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -safe-mode
Still In Windows safe mode, start thunderbird in safe mode
- https://support.mozilla.org/kb/safe-mode-thunderbird

Does problem go away?
mmoo9154

Post by mmoo9154 »

I have this same problem. I don't see any answer about how to resolve this... :'(

I have version 52.1.1(32-bit).

It seems to really puke on its shirt when deleting files. If I select 2 emails and hit delete, it can be almost a half minute before it responds.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I have this same problem. I don't see any answer about how to resolve this... :'(
Did you try any of the diagnostic suggestions above, such as Safe Mode?
What security software is running on the system?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See if http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird helps, what you are running into is not normal. It might be due to your anti-virus scanner, especially if you are using McAfee.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

mmoo9154 wrote:I have this same problem. I don't see any answer about how to resolve this... :'(

I have version 52.1.1(32-bit).

It seems to really puke on its shirt when deleting files. If I select 2 emails and hit delete, it can be almost a half minute before it responds.
Is this an IMAP account? If so, I had a similar temporary freeze when deleting problem a while back when I went from Win7 to Win10. What solved it for me was:

Tools | Options | Advanced | General
UNcheck: Allow Windows search to search messages
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
fsbrainard

Post by fsbrainard »

Have you tried disabling SuperFetch? (See https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fi ... indows-10/)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thanks but, after 4 months of no responses, I doubt whether the posters are interested anymore.

Locking to stop any spammers.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)