Error message when fetching email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
kking

Error message when fetching email

Post by kking »

Error message when fetching email from my Oceanic Time Warner Cable account. It's been working correctly for years. My other 6 email accounts are working fine. No problem sending emails from all accounts.

Error message:

"Sending of password for user xxxxx@hawaii.rr.com did not succeed. Mail server mail.twc.com responded: [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for maintenance, try again."

Got suggestion?

Thanks, Kerry
Last edited by DanRaisch on January 29th, 2017, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules.
DanRaisch

Re: Error message when fetching email

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you also accessing that account through a phone, tablet, or another computer?
Have you tried closing Thunderbird, rebooting the computer and trying again to access the account through Thunderbird?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Em ... td-p/95430 and http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Em ... td-p/73635 . The answers vary between "dual devices are your problem", "check your settings", a employee stating that TWC does not support 3rd party email clients and :

If you're using IMAP on your smart phone and POP3 on your PC or laptop, that seems to be the culprit. I changed the email settings on my laptop to IMAP and it solved the problem. Here are the settings that worked for me with Thunderbird if anyone else needs them:

Account Type: IMAP
Incoming Mail Server - mail.twc.com
Incoming connection security - SSL/TLS
Incoming port - 993

Outgoing Mail Server - mail.twc.com
Outgoing connection security - STARTTLS
Outgoing port: 587

username - your full email address
passwords for both inbound and outbound - same as web mail
kking

Post by kking »

Hi Dan and tanstaafl,

I had just bought a Kindle Fire HD8 and added my POP email address to it. That's when the problem began. Upon recieving your reply Dan I deleted the Kindle's email account, shut down TB and rebooted the PC and still no emails other than via Webmail. So then I deleted my PC's default TB POP account and created a new one using IMAP and it's now working. Thanks so much.

Got one small problem: The new account created a new Inbox, Sent .ERROR Saved emails Junk, Trash folders so now I have two Inboxes. Is there a fix or do I have to change my other six POP accounts to IMAP?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

From your last post it sounds as though you may have had all of those POP accounts set to use the Global Inbox option. Changing the other accounts to IMAP will not get you back to having all messages in one Inbox. Each IMAP account would have its own Inbox as that Global Inbox functionality is only possible with POP type accounts.
kking

Post by kking »

Yes, I recall struggling with multiple Inboxes several years ago so as to have just one. So I have to live with the two Inboxes? And, if I changed all the other POP accounts to IMAP I'd have seven Inboxes?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Correct.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You could switch to view -> folders -> unified if you wanted to convert to just IMAP accounts. You would still see multiple inboxs but they would be child folders you could keep closed (and ignore), under the master inbox folder. Ditto for the sent folder etc. You'd wind up wasting space in the folder pane with child folders you want to ignore, but you would effectively have just one inbox folder, one sent folder, one trash folder etc.
kking

Post by kking »

Re: > Unified "You would still see multiple inboxs" I see. Thanks
kking

Post by kking »

Thanks all. I have no idea how I did it but I changed all the accounts to IMAP and the TB had seven Inboxes so, I deleted the email app from my Fire HD8 and changed them all back to POP and it's working. Much appreciation, Kerry