Deletie a hotmail message twice

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
spruce18b

Deletie a hotmail message twice

Post by spruce18b »

When I delete a message in my Gmail and Yahoo accounts, a red X appears immediately after I press the Delete key.

However, for the Hotmail account, the red X appears only after the Delete key has been pressed twice.

Could someone please tell me how to delete the Hotmail message with only one press of the Delete key so that the deletion procedure is the same as it is for the Gmail and Yahoo accounts?

Thanks, spruce18b
DanRaisch

Re: Deletie a hotmail message twice

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the Hotmail account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
spruce18b

Post by spruce18b »

Hi DanRaisch

Thank you for taking this query.

Server type IMAP mail server
Server name imap-mail.outlook.com

Thanks, spruce18b
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Check the settings under Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->"When I delete a message:"->choose "Move it to this folder" and select "Deleted on" that Outlook account OR choose "Remove it immediately".
spruce18b

Post by spruce18b »

DanRaisch wrote:Check the settings under Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->"When I delete a message:"->choose "Move it to this folder" and select "Deleted on" that Outlook account OR choose "Remove it immediately".
When I select "Move it to this folder" the folder is identified as "Deleted on myname@hotmail.com. With this choice, when I press the Delete key the message disappears immediately but it does not appear in the Deleted folder.

The same behaviour occurs when I choose "Remove it immediately".

The tagged file should not disappear until the account is compacted.

I have this complaint also for my Hotmail, Sympatico and bell.net accounts.

There is nothing wrong with my Yahoo, Gmail and university accounts. The red X appears when I press the delete key just once. When I change my mind about deleting a file I remove the red X on those accounts by pressing the Delete key again. Of course the tagged files disappear when the account is compacted.

Your attention and advice is much appreciated.