Use of Shift-Delete Randomly Deletes All Inbox Email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dw85745

Use of Shift-Delete Randomly Deletes All Inbox Email

Post by dw85745 »

As subject states, this is the third time over the last year when I used Shift-Delete on a single email (so
a copy does not go the Trash folder), that Thunderbird "rapidly" deleted all Inbox email.

1) Is there an alternative to Shift-Delete so an email does NOT go to Trash folder

2) Does THunderbird have a BUG of some type?
3) Anyway to recover the Inbox email?
DanRaisch

Re: Use of Shift-Delete Randomly Deletes All Inbox Email

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
dw85745

Post by dw85745 »

Thanks for responding and instructions to find.
FWIW on my version is at: Options->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

It is POP.
I also noticed yesterday after post that it appeared all deletions -- except for the one marked - ended up in Trash so at least I was able to recover them.
As I recall, the auto deletion occurred for all other mail in the Inbox when after using Shift-Delete I received a dialog asking to Compact.
I hit Cancel and that is when things went Wrong. Having been getting the compact dialog for some time - always hit cancel - so may be some linkage to it?
Went ahead and either deleted or moved most emails to other Local Folders so Inbox and Trash are empty. Will do Send next.
However, still don't get Random nature of this other than as stated may be linked to number emails and need to compact.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Compacting is something that needs to be done regularly in any email program, particularly with POP type accounts. We recommend weekly, but many of us do it daily. When done often enough, it can be an extremely fast process. Not doing so can lead to problems like those you are experiencing. See this about how to and why it's so important: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

If you haven't been doing that before, first back up your Thunderbird Profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup then compact all folders using menu path File->Compact.
dw85745

Post by dw85745 »

Thanks. Will follow your suggested course of action.