Problem opening emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
kenward42

Problem opening emails

Post by kenward42 »

I recently downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird in an attempt to get a working email program on my laptop that uses Windows 7 64 bit operating system. The crappy Windows Live Email program is a total disaster, only function periodically, and is usually "not responding". However when trying to use Thunderbird, I can get get the email summary page, but the individual emails listed thereon will not ope n. Can any of you help m e resolve this problem?
tanstaafl

Re: Problem opening emails

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you add the account using the "new account wizard" (its run automatically) or did you abort it and use some other method to add an account?

Try logging into webmail using a browser to clear a potential captcha (which Thunderbird doesn't know how to deal with) and to verify that your password is okay. Then logout of webmail and try Thunderbird again.

Is it a POP or IMAP account?
Who is your email provider?
Do you get any sort of error message? If so, what is the full text of the error message?
kenward42

Post by kenward42 »

Obviously I can log into my email account. That is how I get the summary list of emails. My email account is a POP account. I believe that I installed Thunderbird with the Wizard.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its not obvious. It could have been leftover from the first time you managed to successfully log in. It would normally get updated as part of checking for and downloading new mail.

What is the full text of the error message?
Can you send a message? The reason I ask is the possibility that you have a problem that effects both the POP and SMTP server.

Think about adding a Gmail or Outlook account and seeing if it has the same problem. That will help identify if its a account specific problem or not. It can also be useful to have a second account for emergency use/troubleshooting. Or you could delete it after your problem is solved.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail