Copying text from clipboard to new message

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
OZO

Copying text from clipboard to new message

Post by OZO »

In the latest version of TB I can copy text into clipboard from an old messages. But I can't copy text from clipboard into a new messages.

Why is that?

2016-07-08 I've tried it in TB Portable 45.2.0. It did not work and I returned back to the old v38.5.1. And today 2017-02-24 I tried the latest TB Portable 45.7.1 with the same result.. :( And because I need it, I'm back to the old and working v38.5.1...
LIMPET235

Re: Copying text from clipboard to new message

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
For one, may I suggest that you "reset" your User Agent string?
It does not look correct at all.
Mozilla/4.0 (MSIE 8.0)
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Resetting_you ... in_default

Sorry, but I cannot assist with your Thunderbird error.
Wait for a guru to log in.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
OZO

Post by OZO »

@LIMPET235, thank you for your reply.

Could you please check if you can paste any text from clipboard into a new message in the latest version of Thunderbird?

P.S. and not related to the topic of discussion: I'm actually using MSIE 8.0 browser right now.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But what OS are you running?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But what OS are you running?
OZO

Post by OZO »

It's Windows 7.
Can you paste text from clipboard into new message box?
If yes, what version of TB are you using?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
For one, may I suggest that you "reset" your User Agent string?
It does not look correct at all.
Mozilla/4.0 (MSIE 8.0)
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Resetting_you ... in_default
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Can you paste text from clipboard into new message box?
If yes, what version of TB are you using?
No problem pasting from a received message to the compose window under Win 10 using version 51.0.1.
morat

Post by morat »

No problem copying from the message pane or pasting to the compose window.

Thunderbird 45.7.1
Windows 7 SP1 32-bit
OZO

Post by OZO »

@DanRaisch and @morat, thank you for checking. I started playing with add-ons I use and discovered, that if I disable QuoteAndComposeManager add-on I can paste text from clipboard into new post edit box.

Just because I use portable TB, I can easy check that by renaming folders that I use to launch TB. And what I see is, if I launch TB 3851, the add-on allows me to paste text into edit box. But when I try to do the same in TB 4571, it doesn't work at all :( So, it's un-installed now...

The reason I need to run latest TB 45.7.1 was the weird problems with the old 38.5.1. I've noticed, that in some occasions it may suddenly and silently dump new message, that it gets from mail server. I run mail server and can see in its logs, that POP3 request was coming from TB and succeeded. But then, when I look at TB, I can't find new message anywhere... Is it a known problem with TB 38.5.1, which is fixed by now? If it's not, I'll have to watch TB 45.7.1 for the same behavior and try to troubleshoot what's going on in such case.

I'd really appreciate any advice how to deal with troubleshooting the case, when TB fetches mail from mail server, but the message could net be found in incoming folders.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm also running "QuoteAndComposeManager" under version 45.7.1 and don't have the paste problem so I'm not certain the extension itself is your problem. Did you have version 0.4.1 of the extension installed?

As for the "disappearing messages" that can occur with POP accounts under just about any version of Thunderbird. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail and/or this one http://kb.mozillazine.org/New_messages_do_not_appear
OZO

Post by OZO »

DanRaisch wrote:I'm also running "QuoteAndComposeManager" under version 45.7.1 and don't have the paste problem so I'm not certain the extension itself is your problem. Did you have version 0.4.1 of the extension installed?
Thank your for reporting. Before I removed it I made a note about it. The version I had was 0.3.32.1. It's strange, because as I remember it had option "Automatic Updates" set to "on". But nevertheless it did not update itself from 0.3.32.1 to 0.4.1...
DanRaisch wrote:As for the "disappearing messages" that can occur with POP accounts under just about any version of Thunderbird. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail and/or this one http://kb.mozillazine.org/New_messages_do_not_appear
Wow! This is a serious problem, very serious. :( If I don't know if message arrived, I miss them and never ask senders to re-send it again. And developers are joking about it. For example, what kind of advice is this:
The first thing to do is to try to figure out what the missing messages have in common.
If I don't see disappeared messages at all (or even notice the fact that they're dumped), how can I find out what do they have in common...

The last time I see that happened I tried to troubleshoot it in controlled environment. I stopped TB, waited for mail server to report about arriving message (I was lucky, sender sent it twice), made copy of its .eml file (just in case). Then I started TB. TB displayed a pop up telling that there is a new message. I recognized the sender in that pop up. But when I checked TB itself, I could not find the new message anywhere :(

Not everyone is running his/her personal mail server and is able to catch that some (not every) messages may suddenly disappear form mail client. It is very serious problem with TB! No matter the excuse is - a malformed message, a missing date stamp, or whatever, there should be a way to indicate such event and provide user with ability to diagnose the problem. At least tell the user that new message was received at ... time from ... address.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If I don't see disappeared messages at all (or even notice the fact that they're dumped), how can I find out what do they have in common...
By doing what you have apparently been doing, checking the webmail to see what messages are found there that are not present/visible in Thunderbird. And no, that advise was not offered just to those running their own mail servers. I certainly don't run a server.
At least tell the user that new message was received at ... time from ... address.

Your asking for Thunderbird to provide you with information it does not have because the malformed messages could not be downloaded for TB to be able to read the info you seek.

Did you review the information regarding issues that could cause messages to "disappear" or now download due to problems in the local profile?
OZO

Post by OZO »

DanRaisch wrote:By doing what you have apparently been doing, checking the webmail to see what messages are found there that are not present/visible in Thunderbird.
I use POP3 and TB is configured not to leave messages on server. It means that mail server removes messages at the time when mail client fetches them. So, I can't check webmail for messages, that were silently dumped by TB.
DanRaisch wrote:And no, that advise was not offered just to those running their own mail servers. I certainly don't run a server.
That's my point exactly. How common user could even suspect that some mail from its service provider suddenly was dumped. I've discovered that purely by an accident, looking at server's logs.
DanRaisch wrote:Your asking for Thunderbird to provide you with information it does not have because the malformed messages could not be downloaded for TB to be able to read the info you seek.
I've just checked copies of 3 .eml files, that I was lucky to make before allowing TB to fetch them, and I don't see any malformation in them. Most importantly, the header is completely correct (as far as I can tell)...

What I'm asking TB is at least to log and notify user of dumped mails. It'd help user to try to contact to its sender and ask to re-send mail in such cases. If it's suddenly gone and use has no idea about it, do you think it's OK?

Regarding to malformation. If there is a recognizable "From:" field - let user know about it. If there is problem with "Date:" field (e.g. message was sent a week ago or more or field is missing completely) - try to current it by setting the "Date:" to current date, 00:00 time and inform user about it. Put completely misinformed message body into dedicated folder. Etc... But silently dumping it without noticing user is not right way to deal with it, IMHO.
DanRaisch wrote:Did you review the information regarding issues that could cause messages to "disappear" or now download due to problems in the local profile?
Of course, I did. I allow to see "All" in threads and folders. I don't use anti-virus programs. My samples of dumped messages have correct date stamp. Search field in "Global Search and the Quick Filter bar" is empty (I don't see how it may hide message in the main list). ".msf" files (index files) are not corrupted (just asked TB to Repair "Inbox" folder). Etc.

@DanRaisch, thank you for trying to help me. I appreciate your input :)