Thunderbird login Rejected on Linux Mint

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
BillWilson65

Thunderbird login Rejected on Linux Mint

Post by BillWilson65 »

I have been using Thunderbird on Windows for many years. I now have an old computer running Linux Mint Cinnamon. I just tried to install Thunderbird there too and it failed! After I filled-in the TB username and password it immediately said it found my existing account but after I clicked on the Done button, it said it was checking the password and then popped up a message that said that the username or password were incorrect! Then I tried the same TB username and password in a separate instance on my Windows machine and it logged in fine. So, it looks like something is happening in Linux that is different. Linux frequently has me reenter my login password when I try to do certain things and I'm wondering if it is expecting to see that password somehow when I click on the Done button? It does not provide any way in this instance for me to enter my Linux login password.

Any ideas how to get past this point?

Thanks,
Bill
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird login Rejected on Linux Mint

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you compare the account settings on the Linux machine with those on the Windows system?
On the Windows machine the menu path for that is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings.
On the Linux machine the the menu path for that is Edit → Account Settings->Server Settings.
BillWilson65

Post by BillWilson65 »

DanRaisch wrote:Did you compare the account settings on the Linux machine with those on the Windows system?
On the Windows machine the menu path for that is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings.
On the Linux machine the the menu path for that is Edit → Account Settings->Server Settings.
I see the difference in those two paths but I'm not clear on where they are used in the setup of each copy of Thunderbird. I didn't do any setup at all because FastMail recognized my login info during the process of initiating Thunderbird on Linux and did the rest of the setup automatically. I assume that since this was the Linux version of Thunderbird it would use the Linux version of any paths within it. ??

Thanks,
Bill
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Those are menu paths, not directory paths and they are not used by the automatic set up process. My point was to have you follow those paths, each in the appropriate OS, and compare what Thunderbird currently has displayed as server settings. It is possible for the information used by the set up wizard to be out of date or for the process to "glitch" and leave invalid entries when completed.
BillWilson65

Post by BillWilson65 »

Thanks for the clarification. I looked at both computers as you suggested: in Thunderbird in Windows the Server Name is mail.messagingengine.com and it has been that for a long time. In Thunderbird in Linux the Server Name was something like IMAPmail.fastmail.com. I changed it to the same as was in the Windows version to see if that would help but as far as I can tell it did not help. I'm still having trouble recognizing the status of things in Linux because of just now seeing Linux for the first time, but it seems that Thunderbird was already installed in Linux when I received it so the problem appears to be only related to connecting to my existing FastMail account. Earlier I didn't realize that Thunderbird was already installed. I think I will start over with Thunderbird and try to set up the email account manually.

Thanks for your help.
Bill
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, and good luck.