T'Bird and gmail..

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jng

T'Bird and gmail..

Post by jng »

pete of ebor wrote:I have used Thunderbird happily and successfully for many years, but I have started getting a Windows notification that my gmail settings are out of date. Thunderbird however still accesses my gmail perfectly well. I appreciate it's probably not a specific TB issue, but is there some wider issue with gmail and Windows 10 ? (Running TB45.8.0 on Win 10)
I''m having a similar problem. Duplicate messages in my inbox. I hate the idea of installing an add-on to remove duplicates. So I went to the Mail file in the profile and killed the popstate.dat files of the three serves I get messages from - zoho, GoDaddy and Gmail. It helped in two of those. Gmail is still "sending" duplicates.
When I send a test message from my Goddady email to my Gmail I don't get duplicates. They happen only from outside sources to Gmail. (Running windows 10 and updated thuderbird).
I've noticed that the Mail files now have a msgfilterRules.dat. Was it a coincidence that it was added by the new Thunderbird version or it was a consequence of my killing postate.dat files and letting Thunderbird create the new ones?
Thanks
jng
DanRaisch

Re: T'Bird and gmail..

Post by DanRaisch »

You're problem is actually quite different from that posted by the OP so I split your post off to it's own topic.

1. Have you checked your Gmail web mail to see if the duplicates exist there or only in Thunderbird? How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

2. Files named msgfilterRules.dat are not new to Thunderbird. They've been in use for POP type accounts since version 1.0 or earlier.

The file popstate.dat identifies which messages have been downloaded from the server. Deleting it causes Thunderbird to see every message in the server inbox folder as new and not previously downloaded. Far from eliminating duplicates, deleting that file might result in another set of the same messages existing in Thunderbird's inbox.
jng

Post by jng »

I made a mistake. My test email from GDaddy to gmail did appear duplicate, identical time and data, but not immediately; only after a few minutes.
They are not duplicated in Gmail webmail.
All my work is with POP, never IMAP.
Before I deleted the popstate.dat files I went into the three webmails and deleted everything they had saved (I always let them keep the original for a while and send a copy to thunderbird) so that I would not receive hundreds of those emails again.
I was sure that when I went into Mail to kill the popstate.dat files the msgfilterrules.dat were not there, but maybe I overlooked it.
Ok, I decided to test everything again and I saw new adventures:
I sent a test from zoho to Godaddy and I got, not two, but three identical copies.
I sent a test from Gmail to GoDaddy I got just one email, no copies.
I sent a test from Gmail to Zoho and I got two identical copies.
I am starting to suspect that the webmails are somehow linked in their source; so besides the Thunderbird duplicating errors from Gmail and Zoho when they receive emails from other webmails (this is a Thunderbird error), zoho or GoDaddy are also sending a copy to Gmail which then send it to Thunderbird. Something like that. But there is no doubt, for me, that there is something wrong in Thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

jng

Post by jng »

I followed the instruction from that site. Moved out of inbox everything to a temp folder. Then deleted inbox and inbox.msf files, protecting sbd files. That cleaned a lot of garbage. However, Gmail is still duplicating all messages that it sends to Thunderbird. Up to now GoDaddy and Zoho stopped doing it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In that case it sounds like settings in Gmail (on their webmail page) may be at issue. Check to make sure you don't have forwarding set up or anything of that sort.
jng

Post by jng »

I've removed all checks on the server settings areas of Thunderbird (GoDaddy, Zoho and Gmail) . I left only the check that says leave messages on server. I thought that maybe there are forwards there in those webmails and they added up to "automatic download emails" in Thunderbird. It did not help. Everything gets duplicate and sometimes triplicated in my inbox. If I don't solve that issue I am going to drop Thunderbird., it is a pity.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I didn't mention settings in Thunderbird. What I suggested was that " it sounds like settings in Gmail (on their webmail page)". You need to check the settings on the Gmail server.

Please understand that receiving duplicate or triplicate messages in Thunderbird is very far from the norm. It's usually something resolved by the information in the link I provided or by identifying issues outside of Thunderbird, like settings in the email provider's pages that lead to forwarding messages as well as having them download normally to TB.
jng

Post by jng »

Thanks, Dan. I followed your recommendation and it worked. GoDaddy and Zoho were forwarding messages to Gmail (besides sending a copy to my Thunderbird) which, in turn, would send them to me. As to Gmail, i confess I did so many changes to its settings that I don't know which worked, but it worked. My Thunderbird is back to normal.
Since I was getting errors from the three webmails, I've concluded that the problem lay with Thunderbird. So I did a lot of cleaning without success. I was about to give up.
Thanks again. Solved.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. Good to hear.