Thunderbird Will Not Start

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jack63ss

Thunderbird Will Not Start

Post by jack63ss »

Thunderbird did an auto-update to 45.8.0 yesterday and now it will not start. When I try to start it (normal or safe-mode) I get a dialog that says:

Error: Platform version '45.8.0' is not compatible with
minVersioin >= 45.7.1
maxVersion <= 45.7.1

I am not sure if the upgrade failed or what, but I really need some help, as I use TB to monitor 4 different email accounts.
Thanks
Jack
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird Will Not Start

Post by tanstaafl »

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Thunderb ... -p/1374424

Delete the contents of the Thunderbird program files directory (NOT the profile), download the setup program and re-install. Its typically installed at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird
jack63ss

Post by jack63ss »

The "profile" you are talking about is the AppData/Local/Thunderbird/Profiles profile, right ?
And should I do an uninstall or just delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird ?
Thanks
Jack
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

help -> troubleshooting information -> show folder will open windows explorer at your profile. Its probably in a child directory within AppData/Local/Thunderbird/Profiles

You could uninstall Thunderbird or delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird. Either should work. Uninstalling does not delete your profile.
jack63ss

Post by jack63ss »

Haven't fixed it on my primary system yet, but I just got notification on one of my other systems that Thunderbird 45.7.1 was now available. So what is the correct "latest" version, 45.7.1 or 45.8.0 ? I just want to make sure I don't run into this again.
Thanks, and sorry for the hassle
Jack
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

45.8.0 is the most uptodate version. I'm ignoring beta , earlybird and other non-production builds.
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

This has not worked for me. I did an upgrade from an earlier version using the TB upgrade option when checking the version number. Afterwards TB would not run. I uninstalled TB and deleted the program folder like suggested. Re-installed the latest TB 52.3.0 and when run it gives an error message "Could not load XRE functions". That is as far as it gets.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I found a ancient bug report - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=689719 - that mentioned that enabling "browser virtualization" in ZoneAlarm can cause that error. Perhaps something changed in the environment that Thunderbird is running in?

If that doesn't give you any ideas I suggest you uninstall and run the latest setup program. You might be running into a problem with the updater. Uninstalling doesn't delete your profile (you could backup your profile first if you're worried), and you appear to be running windows 7 so there shouldn't be any requirements preventing you from installing the latest version.
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

Thanks for replying. I did say that I tried uninstalling TB and deleting the install folder before installing the latest TB rather than using the inbuilt upgrade option. It was then that the problem with XRE began. Prior to that after doing the inbuilt upgrade, TB refused to run and gave no reason why ie no error message.

I have now worked out why this has happened. I sandbox most of my internet facing applications including TB. Checking my Sandbox settings and TB is FORCED sandboxed which I did not realise. This meant that rather than running outside the sandbox to test it was working, it was running inside the sandbox without my realising. After stopping the forced sandboxing it started to run successfully. I have since installed TB inside the sandbox to "upgrade" it and it now runs fine inside the sandbox.

I have been having some problems with Sandboxie right click menus which are not working which makes it far more difficult to use it. So far I have not managed to sort that out.

However as to Thunderbird, that is now working and I can now check my email for the first time in some days.

I do not use Zonealarm so that was not the problem but it sounds like it could be a similar thing to how TB was being forced to run on my system. So it did help to make me aware of what was causing the problem.